BBQ News: 02/28 – 03/06
– Perini Ranch in Buffalo Gap, Texas was named an Americas Classic by the James Beard Foundation.
– College Football writer Andy Staples provides his picks for the best college towns for food. Of course Austin makes the list for their barbecue. Check the 1:40 mark of the video.
– Andy Staples likes Fargo’s too:
– A concise history of the ground breaking Pig Stand chain that began in Dallas in 1921.
– John Mueller Meat Co. in Austin was on hiatus for a health inspection. He’ll be open normal hours starting tomorrow.
– Austin’s SLAB BBQ is profiled by the Daily Texan.
– Tasty, tasty art:
Sausage sculpture by Erwin Wurm, Chelsea pic.twitter.com/DNQqUm9ROZ
— Robert Sietsema (@robertsietsema) March 1, 2014
– From the Onion: “[R]esearchers have discovered a strong correlation between regular meat and sugar consumption and premature death among those who choose to lead happy and fulfilling lives.”
– I wish this were an Onion article about injecting celebrity DNA into lab-grown meats by BiteLabs.
– A pork thief was rescued at a butcher shop after nearly choking to death on meat.
– I know I missed out on these:
Limited quantities available tonight: Smoked shortrib Texas Wagyu !! pic.twitter.com/PIweG2luW9
— qui restaurant (@QUIAustin) March 1, 2014
– Half Past Now offers their top 10 BBQ list in Austin. It doesn’t come with much of a description.
– Dallas’s nine best under the radar barbecue joints according to Thrillist Dallas.
– The Brisket House in Houston is now selling beef ribs on the weekends.
– Zagat Houston likes Killen’s BBQ, especially these five menu items.
– Don’t get any sauce on that white sport coat:
— Stubb’s BBQ Sauce (@stubbsbbqsauce) March 6, 2014
– Tickets to the Red Dirt BBQ Fest in Tyler are now on sale.
– Facebook’s new office complex in Menlo Park, California includes a BBQ joint among it’s food court options.
– Some thoughts on cooking with wood vs. gas from Texas BBQ Treasure Hunt.
– Here is Jamie Geer accepting his Grand Champion trophy this past weekend at the HLSR:
— RODEOHOUSTON (@RODEOHOUSTON) March 2, 2014
– A recap of the World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Competition at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
– On the big money spent by sponsors and teams to turn the HLSR into a big party.
– Here’s a full list of the winners at HLSR.
– With all this talk about BBQ competitions, Meathead says not to bother trying to cook like they do on those TV competitions.
– The June 2013 BBQ issue of Texas Monthly is up for an award:
— TMBBQ (@tmbbq) March 6, 2014
– Travel Channel’s Food Paradise filmed last week at Gatlin’s BBQ in Houston and Micklethwait Craft Meats in Austin.
– A list of the best new spring gear for 2014 from Men’s Journal includes a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker.
– A message to Buccee’s:
Seen at Bucee’s – meat cutter trimming all the fat off a brisket. Dear @bucees, don’t trim the fat off of brisket. This isn’t California.
— Terry Alexander (@Alexander_Bites) March 6, 2014
– Just a few weeks after Lockhart Smokehouse expanded to Plano, Smoke in Dallas announces they’ll be joining them in the northern suburbs.
– Mesquite BBQ in Mesquite, Texas is in the midst of a serious renovation.
– Many meaty events are headed to Dallas. Mark your calendars.
– Smoked Beer:
— StilesSwitchBBQ (@StilesSwitchBBQ) March 5, 2014
– Full & Content provides a list of great downtown Austin restaurants including a couple of our favorite barbecue joints.
– Schmidt Family BBQ in Bee Cave is among Zagat’s 10 hottest new restaurants in Austin.
– The Wall Street Journal Insider’s Guide to Austin includes a nod to Franklin Barbecue. Something tells me you don’t need to be an Austin insider for that tip.
– The Ulterior Epicure calls the Austin food scene a big disappointment, but says Black’s BBQ in Lockhart made a solid impression.
– For those ready to leave the SXSW scene this weekend:
Want an excuse to get out of Austin on Saturday? National BBQ Association is hosting a BBQ bash in San Marcos: http://t.co/u8h6QkRP2B
— Addie Broyles (@broylesa) March 5, 2014
– So many SXSW BBQ Guides:
A BBQ map from Eater Austin.
Free food list by Zagat Austin, including la Barbecue.
Business Insider wants to just send you to The Salt Lick.
The Smoking Ho provides his eleven favorite.
– An interview with Aaron Franklin about the SXSW crowds.
– Texas Monthly is bringing some Texas BBQ to Brooklyn. Pecan Lodge, Stanley’s Famous Pit BBQ, and Louie Mueller Barbecue will all three cook for a pop-up on 3/27.
– Coach Taylor earning his keep at The Salt Lick:
— Salt Lick BBQ (@SaltLickBBQ) March 6, 2014