BBQ News: 11/15 – 11/21
Mark & Michael Black,great-grandsons of Black’s founder,opening Black’s Barbecue Austin on Barton Springs in January pic.twitter.com/dIWiXClodt
— Matthew Odam (@odam) November 15, 2013
– The news of Black’s coming to South Austin comes just a day after la Barbecue announced they’re leaving the neighborhood for East Austin. They’ll be up and running on 6th and Waller on 12/4.
– Brisketman shares some great photos from last week’s Wine & Swine event.
– The Fourtons of Pecan Lodge have been nominated by the Dallas Morning News for Texan(s) of the Year.
– Rudy’s BBQ has a blimp, sort-of:
— me for real (@lookforwardags) November 16, 2013
– The BBQ Central Show has added a meat store to their website.
If you’re looking for a source for BBQ bitters for your cocktails, here’s the place.
– Food scientist Greg Blonder looks at the effect of removing the rib membrane. The smoke ring doesn’t go as deep if it remains.
– They’ve been raising some hogs over in London at Trafalger Square. They’ve been feeding them food waste from area restaurants, and they’ll slaughter and eat them today in Trafalger Square.
– How do you turn your old iMac into a grill? Right here.
– Lockhart Smokehouse in Plano will open next month.
– JB’s Barbecue in Orange is profiled in the Beaumont Enterprise.
– Meat Fight happened this past Sunday, and it was glorious. A slideshow from the Dallas Observer, and photo collections from Nicholas McWhirter and Robert Strickland will make you wish you were there.
– Texas A&M professors talk beef carcass yields and where the value comes from.
– The reality show BBQ Pitmasters is casting for their next season. Do you have the chops?
– Snow’s BBQ in Lexington has a new smoker:
— Kerry Bexley (@snowsbbq) November 18, 2013
– Q for a Cause II will be held in Houston on 11/23. John Mueller will cook at this event, and proceeds benefit “Housing Houston’s Heroes” which provides permanent housing for homeless Houston veterans.
– A new joint in New York, Hometown Bar-B-Que, is getting high praise.
– Gavin Cleaver shares his list of DFW’s weirdest barbecue joints.
– Fittingly, “Texas Barbecue Made Me (Sort Of) American” by Gavin Cleaver.
– A few pitmasters share why they do what they do with the Dallas Observer.
– “The Butcher” is a beer brewed by Bluejacket Brewery to taste like Washington DC’s famous half-smoke sandwich. According to Beer Director Greg Engert, it “finishes with a spicy smoked meat note.”
– Want to work at a BBQ joint:
Now hiring: email resume to [email protected]
— Micklethwait Meats (@CraftMeats) November 19, 2013
– Or you can work at this one:
— Ronnie Killen (@killensbbq) November 21, 2013
– An infographic guide to the country’s barbecue sauce regions.
– Dallas Morning News food critic Leslie Brenner is really taken with Schmidt Family Barbecue in Bee Cave.
– The DMN also provides their list of the 10 most essential Texas foods. Barbecue is of course on the list, and they suggest going to Slow Bone and Work in Deep Ellum.
– A few Dallas Cowboys share some tips for eating and entertainment around Dallas. “[G]uard Mackenzy Bernadeau likes Hard Eight BBQ … while left tackle Tyron Smith is a fan of 3 Stacks Smoke & Tap House.”
– In what is not much of a stretch, Frisco Lifestyle calls 3 Stacks the best barbecue in Frisco.
– DFW Airport is getting a new location of Cousin’s BBQ:
– A barbecue joint founded in 1970 in Muncie, Indiana reopens four months after being shut down by the health department.
– A 75-year Harvard study to determine what makes men happy left out brisket entirely from their conclusions. Dubious. Another Harvard study concludes that skipping breakfast is bad for your heart. Do your heart a favor this Saturday and get out to Snow’s for a celebratory breakfast.
– Matthew Shelley of D Magazine processes a hog in Giddings, Texas.
– You can now preorder your barbecue from Louie Mueller so easily:
— Red Dirt BBQ Fest (@reddirtbbqfest) November 20, 2013
– NSFW: An interview by Playboy with Adam Perry Lang while on site for Meatopia Texas in San Antonio.
– Last week brought the announcement of a vegan condom. Touché says Bill Gates. “The beef condom is the brain child of Mark McGlothlin…who says that collagen fibrils from cow tendons feel more like skin than traditional latex.”
– New labeling in the meat department could soon provide more information about where your beef came from. Opponents are actually arguing against the labels partially because the labels say “slaughtered” which is “unappetizing” and “harvested isn’t much better…” Takeaway: the beef industry continues to think we are all morons.