In the five years that Brad Davis has played soccer for the Houston Dynamo, the midfielder has never had a locker of his own. That will change next year when the team moves from the University of Houston’s Robertson Stadium into its permanent home, the new $110 million soccer-specific facility being built downtown. “I’ll finally have a nice locker,” says the 29-year-old. “I’m really looking forward to it.” For now, the father of two keeps his practice and game-day gear in the U of H football team’s locker room. This month Davis, who is the reigning team MVP, will lead the Dynamo at home against the Portland Timbers and Real Salt Lake.
About the Items in Brad Davis’s Locker
• I use the same deodorant that Bear Grylls uses. If he uses it, it must be good. The Old Spice I stole from a teammate.
• The protein powder helps me recover after practice and after games. It helps regenerate my muscles for the next day.
• I’ve had this camouflage key chain forever. It’s a token of my redneck-ism, I suppose. My wallet has a deer in the crosshairs on it.
• My wife just had our second baby, and one of my teammates put that there to be funny. Or maybe it’s because they think I have big nipples.
• I’m very close with my grandpa, and I keep his dog tags with me. My cousin and I would spend the summers at my grandpa’s farm in Missouri. He got me into deer hunting and the outdoors.
• I’m a huge supporter of our armed forces. I have a charity called Brad’s Brigade, and one of the soldiers made this bracelet for me. I always have it, whether it’s on my wrist or in my truck.
• I’m a country-music enthusiast, but I usually have to listen to rap and hip-hop in the locker room. Most of the guys can’t stand country, so I always have a CD with me. My favorite group is the Zac Brown Band.
• I like to look at pictures on my iPhone. I was just looking at some of my newborn daughter, Taylor.