I love a restaurant that’s a personal statement, and Hector’s on Henderson is just that. Hector Garcia, a longtime fixture on the Dallas dining scene (general manager at the Riviera, co-owner of Iris), has his own place now, and you can see his stamp on the food (eclectic and easy to like), the decor (simple but not stark), and the entertainment (the baritone singing show tunes with a piano-and-trombone duo on weekends is Hector, and he’s not bad at all). Best bites, from the inspired kitchen of chef Todd Erickson, include juniper-and-honey-scented lamb chops with great parsnip–Yukon Gold mashers, and lovely seared scallops in a basil–sweet pea sauce with a terrific succotash of fresh corn and edamame. As we told Hector, we should be singing—his praises. PATRICIA SHARPE
- Inside the Story of How H-E-B Planned for the Pandemic
- Joe Exotic: A Dark Journey Into the World of a Man Gone Wild
- Why I’m Not Going to South Padre Island
- U.S. Hospitals Have a Ventilator Shortage. A Team of Rice Engineers Say They Have a Solution.
- “It’s Going to Be Three Months of Purgatory—If We’re Lucky”