The Highland Park Centennial Anniversary Literary Festival, presented by Texas Monthly and the Texas Book Festival, took place at the Highland Park United Methodist Church on May 11. The event kicked off with a well-attended cocktail party on Friday night. The one-day festival on Saturday featured authors Joe Nick Patoski, John Spong, Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, Prudence Mackintosh, Stephen Harrigan, Erica Grieder, Miles Arceneaux, and Harry Hunsicker. The keynote luncheon featured author Lawrence Wright in conversation with Texas Monthly Editor Jake Silverstein. They discussed his book Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief and his recently reissued memoire In the New World: Growing Up with America from the Sixties to the Eighties. More than 200 people attended the festival, which was part of a year-long celebration of the Highland Park community’s centennial.
Highland Park Methodist Church, Highland Park, May 11, 2013
- The Eyes of Texas Were Upon Jimmy Fallon’s ‘Tonight Show’
- Let’s All Hope Tony Buzbee Drank a Lot of Water Last Night
- The National Media Hilariously Misunderstands Texas Geography
- The Only Texas Chili Recipe You’ll Ever Need
- Texas Counties Are Declaring Themselves ‘Second Amendment Sanctuaries.’ But What Does That Mean, Exactly?