For a San Antonio–born musician who once pretended to be British, Doug Sahm made music remarkably devoid of pretense. Because of this, the late Texas Tornado’s genre-bending explorations have only grown richer over time. As part of Austin City Limits’ Live From Austin TX CD/DVD series (New West), Sahm’s 1975 taping, which aired in ACL’s first season, doesn’t quite have the production polish of later episodes. But this lends to its charm. Sahm, joined by longtime cohort Augie Meyers, knocks out the hits, covers T-Bone Walker, and hams it up as Elvis in this rough-hewn set. He flies with ease from blues to country to rock—and makes it all sound Texan to the core.
- Taco Cabana Closes 19 Locations in Texas
- A Houston Chiropractor’s Spine-Tingling YouTube Videos Have Earned Him an Army of ‘Crack Addicts’—and Controversy
- Hollywood, Texas: Renée Zellweger’s Texas Accent Confounds the World
- The Doctor, the Dentist, and the Killer
- Taco Stop in Dallas Receives Hate Mail in Response to Owner’s Charity