Tomato-Braised Wild Boar
- 3 pounds wild boar shoulder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 onions chopped
- 6 carrots chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 4 tablespoons garlic chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage chopped
- 1 small sprig rosemary chopped
- 2 quarts canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups white wine
- wild boar or chicken stock or water, as needed
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Season the shoulder well with salt and pepper at least 4 hours before cooking and refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof pot over medium heat and brown the meat well on all sides.
- Remove the meat and add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, sage, and rosemary to the pot. Cook, stirring often, until tender and fragrant, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring often, until thickened and reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine, return the shoulder to the pot, and add enough stock to come halfway up the shoulder.
- Place in the oven and cook for an hour, then turn the shoulder. Cook another hour and turn again.
- Repeat until the meat is tender enough to pull apart easily, adding stock as needed (the age of the hog will determine how long it takes to become tender).
- Once tender, allow to cool slightly, garnish with fresh parsley, and serve.