In 1967, a 56-year-old lawyer met a young inmate with a brilliant mind and horrifying stories about life inside. Their complicated alliance—and even more complicated romance—would shed light on a nationwide scandal, disrupt a system of abuse and virtual slavery across the state, and change incarceration in Texas forever.
Articles by Ethan Watters
LongreadThe Love Story That Upended the Texas Prison System
TM This Week
- 13 Curses to Mutter Against Ted Cruz While You Boil Snow to Drink
- What Went Wrong With Texas’s Main Electric Grid and Could It Have Been Prevented?
- El Paso Heeded the Warnings and Avoided a Winter Catastrophe
- The Texas Blackout Is the Story of a Disaster Foretold
- One of Texas’s Busiest Plumbers Explains What to Do if Your Pipes Burst