Although Johnnie Swearingen was one of Texas' best self-taught artists, his riotous paintings of his native Washington County were anathema to some of the local gentry. Now, in a satisfying twist, the works are proudly displayed at the Chappell Hill Historical Museum. Call it artistic justice.
Articles by julieardery
Painting the Towns
Never Miss a Story
- Inside the Story of How H-E-B Planned for the Pandemic
- Joe Exotic: A Dark Journey Into the World of a Man Gone Wild
- Texas Anti-Vaxxers Fear Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccines More Than the Virus Itself
- COVID-19 May Be Silently Spreading Across Rural Counties, University of Texas Researchers Believe
- Greg Abbott Promised to Get Masks for Texas. Many Doctors Say They Are Still Facing Shortages.