Articles by Patricia Hart
• Matthew Dowd, 43, and Mark McKinnon, 49, Austin The two Bush campaign veterans have returned to Texas, consultant Dowd to set up his own firm and media guru McKinnon to return to Public Strategies, his old stomping ground. Their political talent and impeccable credentials will have an impact…
• Rick Perry, 54, Austin He’s one of the best campaigners Texas has ever seen, but that’s all that can be said. Beyond the inherent powers of the office, the assets that earn a governor extra clout are an uplifting vision for the future, broad-based popular support, and the…
Apr 30, 2003 — By Patricia Hart
The name on everyone's lips this legislative session is unknown to most people outside Austininside Austin too. But Mike Toomey, the governor's chief of staff, is the most powerful political operative at the Capitoland the most feared. Just ask his fellow Republicans.
Sign up for the Armadillo
- Can Bee Stings Treat Lyme Disease?
- Criminal Charges Against Schlitterbahn Officials Have Been Dropped
- Put Texas and Texas A&M in the Academy Sports and Outdoors Texas Bowl, You Cowards
- Tony Buzbee Ran as a Trumpian Shark in the First Round of the Houston Mayoral Race. Now He Appears to Be Dead in the Water.
- Meet the Unruly Clan That Once Ruled the Hill Country