In this exclusive excerpt from the forthcoming ‘The Man Who Ran Washington,’ two veteran political correspondents recount how the future Reagan and Bush cabinet member's family legacy, a personal tragedy, and a friendship forged on the Houston Country Club’s tennis courts put a restless middle-aged lawyer on the path to power.
Articles by Susan Glasser
How James Baker Became James Baker
News & Politics
- Matthew McConaughey and Beyoncé Did More for Texas Than Ted Cruz
- The Damning History Behind UT’s ‘The Eyes of Texas’ Song
- He Rioted at the Capitol. Then for Weeks He Lived in Luxury While Hiding From the FBI.
- Axis Deer Had Overrun the Hill Country. The Winter Storm Devastated Them.
- They Accused a Man of Sexual Assault in a Small West Texas Town. That Was Only the Beginning.