BBQ News: 03/24 – 03/30
– For Matthew Odam, the new Kemuri-Tatsuya in Austin is an “izakaya smokehouse that blurs the lines between Japan and Texas.”
– There is now a new flavor of Payday candy bars with the “flavor of Texas BBQ.”
– Beef ribs are having a moment:
— First We Feast (@firstwefeast) March 23, 2017
– Eater takes a look at Cheerwine, which is to North Carolina barbecue what Big Red is to Texas barbecue.
– Barbecue represents two spots on Eater’s list of the South’s 38 essential restaurants.
– Howard Seftel, a former food critic at the Arizona Republic, toured Little Miss BBQ in Phoenix and sampled the barbecue.
– UFC fighters battled in a barbecue eating contest:
So– this was fun today! Thanks The Dallas Morning News for introducing these guys to Texas BBQ!… https://t.co/R3C9axNqmV
— Lockhart Smokehouse (@DallasLockhart) March 24, 2017
– Meet the Buckmans, who run Corkscrew BBQ in Spring, and their pet squirrel.
– Patrick Feges: The Purple-Hearted Pit Master, from My Table Magazine.
– Q-Shi Bistro, the sushi and barbecue concept in Spring, Texas is expanding to another location in the Woodlands.
– When reader polls go south:
In which Southern Living says Salt Lick is better than Franklin. FRANKLIN. https://t.co/AHXmQU1L6q
— Abby Johnston (@ajohnston12) March 29, 2017
– Websites continue to obsess over the idea of creating a barbecue-like substance without a stick of wood. In this latest one, they call it “barbecue-style meat.”
– In their latest podcast, The BBQ Beat talks with Derrick Riches who has been writing about barbecue and grilling for About.com since 1997.
– The NYT likes the barbecue at LC’s in KC:
— NY Times Travel (@nytimestravel) March 29, 2017
– Nick Pencis of Stanley’s Famous Pit Bar-B-Que in Tyler is coming to Dallas for a barbecue class at Four Corners brewery on Saturday.
– Thrillist headed to the Valentina’s Tex-Mex BBQ trailer in Austin to see how they construct the Real Deal Holyfield taco.
– Beef barbacoa comes primarily from cheek meat, and a diner in Pflugerville said her barbacoa included some bonus teeth along with the cheek.
– A look back at a once-thriving barbecue chain:
— Grant Goggans (@MarieLetsEat) March 27, 2017
– The American Royal Barbecue Contest in Kansas City is changing its usual October date to Labor Day weekend in 2017.
– The Great American Cookout Tour is coming to Cedar Hill this weekend.
– Follow this barbecue sandwich trail for a taste of Alabama barbecue.
– Get to know some hams:
That ham guide you were hoping would show up on your Twitter feed https://t.co/3tXMnNhMfN
— Bon Appétit (@bonappetit) March 30, 2017