– A Field Guide to the American Sandwich from the NYT. Texas chopped beef gets some love, but the best photo is from Iowa.
– Louis McMillan of McMillan’s Famous Bar-B-Q in Fannin, Texas was recently recognized by the State Senate of Texas for his work in barbecue.
– Responding to the smoker resolution in Austin:
Pits are moved away from the neighbors 🙂 we are excited about our new spot in the same lot!! Come check it out -Ali pic.twitter.com/OEPAt1jIvQ
— la Barbecue (@la_Barbecue) April 13, 2015
– The When on Earth site looks at barbecue styles around the world.
– Steven Raichlen provides a recipe for jerk chicken at home.
– Charcoal is the latest ingredient craze on cocktail menus.
– John Mueller and LeAnn Mueller look to have buried the hatchet:
Mueller family motto!! Hahhahaha pic.twitter.com/DSxQCSizQt
— John Mueller Meat (@JSM_meat) April 15, 2015
– Brisket is getting popular in North Carolina now, and Old Cape Fear Smoked Meats is the latest to serve it up in this pork-heavy barbecue state.
– A $25,000 barbecue pit was stolen from Holy Smoke BBQ in Gahanna, Ohio.
– Another stolen smoker. This one’s in Austin:
Apparently this smoker belonging to @BlueOXBBQ was stolen in S. Austin-keep your eye peeled for it! #bbqtheives pic.twitter.com/Lfhwx9odQm
— Frank Mancuso (@franktex) April 12, 2015
– Examiner talks with Myron Mixon, “the winningest man in barbecue,” about his upcoming event in Norco, California.
– In case your KCBS brisket game isn’t that strong, maybe enter the Rib Rivalry.
– Southern Living provides these BBQ 101 videos from Chris Prieto.
– Aaron Franklin goes to Hollywood:
Watch Aaron Franklin make brisket on @JimmyKimmelLive http://t.co/tHYWinstwI pic.twitter.com/jy2PUbg6GB
— Eater (@Eater) April 15, 2015
– It’s not all good news at Franklin Barbecue. A hit and run driver drove right through their wall yesterday.
– After wining the Masters, Dallas native Jordan Spieth gets to choose the menu for next year’s Champions Dinner. “It would be some form of Texas BBQ,” he told CNN.
– A San Antonio Spur is a big BBQ fan as well. “Out of action with an injury, Aron Baynes drove to Austin after a rehab session to join about 250 other brisket buffs at Franklin. As he waited for two and a half hours, Baynes hobbled to the car every 30 minutes to ice and retreat his ankle.”
– Aaron Franklin also has a new TV show coming. A preview:
Coming Soon!: https://t.co/qCzY5C554K via @YouTube
— Franklin Barbecue (@FranklinBbq) April 14, 2015
– San Antonio Magazine names the best new barbecue in the city, but there’s too many to name just one. Included are the Smoke Shack, B&D Icehouse, and Dignowity Meats.
– A new barbecue joint, A&T BBQ Bar, will open soon in San Antonio.
– HEB’s new 3009 restaurant will open tomorrow in Schertz, just north of San Antonio. Among other items, barbecue will be on the menu.
– The Rib Crib in Oklahoma is supporting their home team with smoked meat art:
Let’s do it, y’all. #ThunderUp pic.twitter.com/qd5XQEcKHy
— RibCrib (@RibCrib) April 16, 2015
– The Dallas Observer likes their brisket fatty at the Feed Store BBQ in Southlake.
– Red’s BBQ has opened near Douglassville, Texas.
– Andrew Zimmern shares his favorite barbecue joints around the country, and one of them is in Texas.
– Texas BBQ (the sausage at least) is coming to Boston on a burger:
For a short time, get a taste of the legendary @kreuzmarket BBQ at @shakeshack. http://t.co/40EiYI0IU3 pic.twitter.com/b48fy4yXAT
— bostonmagazine.com (@BostonMagazine) April 14, 2015
– New Orleans-based VooDoo BBQ & Grill is coming to Waco.
– Gary Zacharias, owner of Coach’s Bar-B-Q in McGregor will open Coach’s Smoke in Waco soon.
– Dickey’s Barbecue is one of America’s fastest growing restaurant chains.
– The Daily Meal is looking for America’s best barbecue chain.
– Black’s BBQ is bringing a BBQ food truck to Austin this summer:
Rumor has it you may see this thing pop up in Austin this summer…Keep your eyes peeled pic.twitter.com/3zqIfnmrjN
— Black’s Barbecue (@blacksbbq) April 15, 2015
– Killen’s Barbecue in Pearland is listed as one of the coolest businesses in the Houston area by Business Insider.
– Andy Staples writes about his glorious visit to Killen’s Barbecue, and throws in a Louie Mueller/Deion Sanders reference, in this week’s Punt, Pass, and Pork.
– The Houston Chronicle discusses the finer points of beef barbacoa with a tip about where to get some good versions in Texas.
– Nabbed him:
The alleged South Texas brisket bandit has been caught @BBQsnob http://t.co/tKAI0CO1Lu
— Chuck Blount (@chuck_blount) April 14, 2015