BBQ News: 07/08 – 07/14
– The Meat Fight 1K is a fun run minus the running. Twenty food vendors line the 3,281 foot course. Registration begins tomorrow morning.
– Pecan Lodge is offering free meals to Dallas police officers through July 17th.
– Pecan Lodge had a brief pit fire overnight. It was quickly contained, and the restaurant is back open.
– Meet a Texas barbacoa family:
– This is how they make the brisket at Maple Block Meat Co. in Culver City, California.
– Myron Mixon will open a new barbecue joint in Washington D.C. called Pitmaster Barbeque.
– Grilling science:
— ChefSteps (@ChefSteps) July 13, 2016
– A barbecue joint in Smithville could be yours. The former Zimmerhanzel’s BBQ and current Smithville Pit BBQ is for sale.
– MooCow Barbecue, owned by Joseph and Doris Patt, has reopened in Palestine.
– Sobering up on barbecue in Dallas:
“Hey, I see myself as a soberizer. I’m out here feeding drunks and saving lives.”https://t.co/EnM5SKBDly
— Dallas Observer (@Dallas_Observer) July 12, 2016
– Central Track heads to Cattleack Barbecue in Dallas to see their new expanded dining room.
– Dallas native Joe Walters has opened a new barbecue joint, Texas Joe’s Slow Smoked Meats, in London. The Houston Chronicle has the story.
– The Daily Mail dives into the Texas barbecue style, and offers some barbecue options in the London area.
– Making boudin in North Carolina:
— TOPO Distillery (@TOPOdistillery) July 13, 2016
– Texas BBQ Treasure Hunt wants to know what’s up with Houston sausage, and pleads for more homemade varieties.
– Five recipes for leftover brisket from Tasting Table.
– Deadspin aims to convince us that vegans can barbecue, too.
– There are still a few days left of Barbecue Week:
— TheGranarySA (@TheGranarySA) July 12, 2016
– Rustic East, a barbecue joint in search of a pitmaster, will open in downtown Austin.
– Evan LeRoy of Freedmen’s is headed to Russia to cook some brisket in Moscow and St. Petersburg.
– Jess Pryles went on the Today show to demonstrate a recipe for peanut butter and jelly chicken wings.
– Urner Barry fixed their deck of beef cards that had been missing a card featuring brisket:
— Daniel Vaughn (@BBQsnob) July 12, 2016
– North Carolinians travel to Austin and report on the barbecue they found.
– The Windy City Smokeout is coming to Chicago this weekend, and a couple Texas pitmasters will be there.
– The Wall Street Journal looks at a new line-up of high-tech smokers.
– A reminder to not cook barbecue indoors:
ICYMI: Knoxville firefighters say woman tried to barbecue brisket in the bathtubhttps://t.co/Uh8Bv1B9Dr
— Local 8 News (@wvlt) July 13, 2016