BBQ News: 07/31 – 08/06
– From the Austin American Statesman: Austin is not banning barbecue.
– “The city of Austin’s Health and Human Services Committee said a recommendation for a city-wide ordinance on barbecue smoke will not come from them.”
– Politifact looks into the claim:
— PolitiFact Texas (@PolitiFactTexas) August 5, 2015
– Someone took this video of Austin council member Ellen Troxclair putting forth a motion NOT to pursue regulations regarding barbecue smoke. #Hero: ’
– Between brining, curing, the liquid smoke glaze, sous vide, and oven roasting, I’ve never seen anyone go through so much trouble to NOT smoke a brisket than they do with this recipe from Chefsteps.
– At Pecan Lodge they go through nearly four tons of brisket per week. An interview with Justin and Diane Fourton.
– Michael Maxwell uncovered this clip of Harold Christian singing in his now defunct namesake barbecue joint in Abilene.
– Southern Living’s Robert Moss reports that brisket is making its way into the Carolinas.
— Robert Moss (@mossr) August 3, 2015
– Tickets go on sale for the 2016 Foodways Texas Camp Brisket on August 19th.
– There will be a BBQ Boot Camp held in – of all places – Fargo, North Dakota.
– The DayTripper does a podcast and Episode 14 is all about BBQ:
— Chet Garner (@ChetTripper) August 3, 2015
– Steven Raichlen explains the many differences in the various smokers he uses on his new show Project Smoke.
– A story about a “weekly barbecue has taken place on a street corner in Detroit every Saturday for the last eight years, often serving more than 200 people, and run entirely by volunteers.”
– Food & Wine reminds us about the origins of the word “barbecue.”
– Grillocracy recommends these ten barbecue books.
– Getting ready for the XIT Rodeo and Reunion in Dalhart:
— Simscott (@lathemfarms) August 4, 2015
– Guns Up BBQ took a Lubbock-area barbecue crawl and found some good spots.
– Burger Mary traveled to Jefferson for some barbecue at Joseph’s Riverport Bar-B-Cue.
– The Dallas Observer praises BBQ on the Brazos:
— Dallas Observer (@Dallas_Observer) August 4, 2015
– Aaron Franklin takes Food & Wine to his favorite barbecue spot in Austin.
– Bluestar Drive-in theater in Austin has teamed up with Black’s BBQ to provide brisket during the movies.
– A new barbecue joint in the Lakewood neighborhood of Dallas will be from the owners of 3 Stacks BBQ in Frisco.
– The Houston Press is lukewarm over the barbecue at Jackson St. BBQ.
– Houstonia Magazine shares their top 10 BBQ joints in Houston:
— Houstonia Magazine (@HoustoniaMag) August 4, 2015
– John Lewis is interviewed by a Charleston, South Carolina paper about his plans to open a barbecue joint there.
– Eater profiles Pat Martin of Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint in Nashville.
– An interview with Thomas Abramowicz, owner and pitmaster of The Beast, which serves Texas style barbecue in Paris.
– Judge Dubs Former Carnegie Deli Manager the ‘Shyster of Smoked Meat’
– Plenty of folks would agree:
— Grub Street (@grubstreet) July 31, 2015