BBQ News: 08/19 – 08/25
– Operation BBQ Relief is doing some amazing work in the flood-affected areas of Louisiana. Will Cleaver provided this update from their efforts. As of Tuesday, they had served over 180,000 meals. They need your donations.
– John Mueller Meat Co. in Austin seized for non-payment of taxes:
John Mueller Meat Co. property seized for nonpayment of taxes. pic.twitter.com/q3nGrB2usQ
— Philip Jankowski (@PhilJankowski) August 19, 2016
– Mueller has 20 days to set up a payment plan for the $92,000 owed in back taxes, or the business will be permanently closed.
– He told Eater Austin the he’ll be back open this week.
– Xocolatl de David in Portland has partnered with Austin’s Franklin Barbecue to create a Texas Barbecue flavored chocolate bar.
– BBQ and Wyatt McSpadden are always a good combination:
Great photography. I can smell it… | Inside the smoky altars to Texas’ other religion: Barbecue https://t.co/IbvuVmVr8G
— Sarah Harris (@sarahscope) August 19, 2016
– The Smoking Ho was blown away by the ribs and burnt ends at Pappa Charlie’s Barbeque in Houston.
– Slim Thug shared some Houston BBQ advice with First We Feast.
– JC Reid found an 1870 article about a cook-off between mutton and goat boosters in Gilroy, California that may have been the first BBQ cook-off.
– This claim might be a stretch, but I do like some whole hog:
— First We Feast (@firstwefeast) August 22, 2016
– The NC Barbecue Revival, scheduled for late October, will bring together some of the biggest barbecue names in North Carolina.
– Of Southern Living’s 25 best new restaurants list, 2 are North Carolina BBQ joints.
– The Daily Meal asked pitmasters which barbecue joints they love. Two of the twelve are from Texas.
– D Magazine ranks the 20 best BBQ joints in the Metroplex:
— Tim Rogers (@timmytyper) August 19, 2016
– Culturemap published their own list of the ten best barbecue joints in the DFW area.
– Nick Rallo found a great smoked cheeseburger at Lakewood Smokehouse.
– DFW.com is happy with the barbecue at the new location of Meat U Anywhere BBQ in Trophy Club.
– That’s a lot of chicken:
— Steven Jackson (@TexasLandLender) August 19, 2016
– Brisket, the new health food.
– Texas A&M added this post about BBQ Science with links to their many articles on the subject.
– I talked with the Comedy BBQ boys on the latest episode of their podcast.
– BBQ Recon took a trip to Llano to try Inman’s Kitchen, and came away impressed.
– There’s a magazine for sale:
May it fall into the right hands. . . https://t.co/L8Unt37EZm
— Stephen Harrigan (@stephenharrigan) August 19, 2016
– Another Texas-style barbecue truck has opened in Portland, Oregon. The rib meat “slides off the bone like a banana peel.”
– Delaney Barbecue in New York is now packaging their Texas style hot links for retail.
– Tim Byres is hosting Big Green Eggs & Ham at Smoke in Plano in a few weeks.
– The 43rd annual World Championship BBQ Goat Cook-off is coming to Brady over Labor Day weekend.
Care for some delicious goat and lamb? https://t.co/0j2bWiCcmv
— J.C. Reid (@jcreidtx) August 20, 2016