BBQ News: 10/21 – 10/27
– You have three days to get your tickets to Sunday’s Texas Monthly BBQ Festival.
– You have four days to get us your nomination for the next Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ List.
– The fourth installment of Burnt Legend:
– Tuffy Stone and his Cool Smoke team won an unprecedented third title at the Jack Daniel’s Championship Invitational Barbecue.
– Southern Smoke is coming up soon in Houston, and here’s some backstory on why the event was created and the charity it benefits.
– J C Reid examines the many variations of the beef rib in and around Houston.
— Eater Austin (@EaterAustin) October 25, 2016
– In describing the vegan brisket at V-Eats, the Dallas Observer gets in a solid barbecue burn: “No, it doesn’t taste quite like a brisket, but yes, it is pretty fun and tasty. Go on — live a little. It’s not like we’re suggesting you go eat at Dickey’s.”
– Food & Wine also weighed in on the vegan brisket in Dallas.
– Bridge construction in Fort Worth is putting a major strain on business at Angelo’s.
– The Men In Blazers show took in some BBQ at Hard 8 in Roanoke:
— Men in Blazers (@MenInBlazers) October 26, 2016
– Someone broke into La Barbecue in Austin and stole their tip jar.
– The battle of Stubb’s vs. Stubb’s rages on in Austin.
– A hot take from former NYT food critic:
NYC will never be a great bbq town no matter how many venues: wrong air,ambiance,style.Too urban and enclosed. Needs rustic aura.
— Mimi Sheraton (@mimisheraton) October 25, 2016
– Andy Staples praises the brisket at Smoque in Chicago in his weekly Punt, Pass & Pork report.
– As the barbecue boom expands to Wisconsin, they’re not quite used to the smell of smoking meat.
– The only whole hog barbecue joint in Mississippi is rebranding after the burger was outselling the barbecue 4:1.
– A New York Times reporter flew to North Carolina just for a pork sandwich at Skylight Inn, and I don’t blame him.
– “[T]he selection of the house sauces, we would find, was the best sign of good barbecue.”:
— The New York Times (@nytimes) October 26, 2016