BBQ News: 10/30 – 11/05
– Barbecue competitor and television personality Myron Mixon ran for mayor in his hometown of Unadilla, Georgia, and won by twenty votes.
– The Houston Chronicle provides this historical profile of Houston pitmaster Lenoa Ginn.
– Sunday’s Texas Monthly TMBBQ Fest in Austin was a success:
— Eater Austin (@EaterAustin) November 3, 2015
– A time-lapse of Corkscrew BBQ’s grand opening:
– Jess Pryles follows a day in the barbecue life of Lance Kirkpatrick at Stiles Switch BBQ, in Austin.
– Romanouska’s in Austin is moving. The smoked meat deli trailer form Micklethwait is headed to the Grackle.
– The much-delayed Austin location of Cooper’s BBQ is coming along.
– Travis and Emma Heim of Heim BBQ were featured on Fox 4 in DFW:
– Ray “Dr. BBQ” Lampe talks with the Big Green Egg podcast about his life in barbecue.
– Don McLemore of Big Bob Gibson BBQ was honored with the Pioneer of Barbecue award at last month’s Jack Daniel’s Barbecue Competition.
– A cute kid in Austin dressed as Aaron Franklin for Halloween.
– There’s a new female pitmaster in Texas:
@twobrosbbqmarket is extremely proud to announce our new Pitmaster Laura Loomis. This picture shows two of the best Pitmasters in all of Texas. Come by and meet Laura. #thebroshaveasister #ladieswhoque @tmbbq
A photo posted by chefjasondady (@chefjasondady) on Nov 2, 2015 at 6:26am PST
– Steven Raichlen found a big rack of ribs in Florence, Italy.
– “US barbecue restaurants have spread across Britain with the eagerness of a sprightly bacterial growth on agar jelly.”
– Ed Levine of Serious Eats describes the experience of eating barbecue at Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor.
– In honor of the World Series champs, an ode to Kansas City BBQ:
The proper way to order Burnt Ends at Arthur Bryant’s. https://t.co/3qUey4i6pu
— Joe Posnanski (@JPosnanski) October 29, 2015
– Guns Up BBQ had a good first impression at Winner’s BBQ in Plano.
– The El Paso Times is a fan of their new local joint, Desert Oak Barbecue.
– Bodacious BBQ in Longview is profiled by the local paper.
– KLTV interviews pitmaster Jonathan Shaw at Stanley’s Famous Pit Bar-B-Que in Tyler.
– Lazy J’s BBQ in Floresville was destroyed by a tornado this week:
— Russell Jones (@Russell44Jones) October 30, 2015
– The Houston Chronicle features eight local young gun pitmasters that are shaping the barbecue scene in Houston.
– There’s a Kosher BBQ Championship coming to San Antonio this weekend.
– Hutchins BBQ in McKinney was profiled by Community Impact.
– Smoke and booze:
Smoke and booze go together like peanut butter and jelly https://t.co/hwI4LqWuHe
— Eater (@Eater) November 5, 2015