October 4, 1957. It was the day that the Soviet Union sent Sputnik into space and caused a near panic among Americans who feared that their country was failing in the Cold War and in the space race. John F. Kennedy exploited the concern of a “missile gap” to win the 1960 election.
Sign up for the Armadillo
Weekly dispatches from the middle of the road of Texas politics.
- ‘How Can They Expect Peace When They Won’t Give Us Peace’: A Weekend of Demonstrations in Dallas Over Police Killings
- Priya Krishna’s Quarantine Journal, Entry No. 14: Savoring Time With the Parents
- The Houston Years of George Floyd
- Texas Monthly Recommends: Making a Backyard Water Park
- At Zoli’s, Smoked Brisket Lasagna Is a Revelation