I want to call readers’ attention to a comment that I overlooked to “Bush at the Bottom,” posted on December 2, about historian Eric Foner’s evaluation in the Washington Post of George W. Bush’s place in history. Foner said Bush was the worst president ever. I went on to write about the history of presidential rankings, summarize how historians currently regard presidents, and give my own rankings. The comment, which I posted today from that ubiquitous submitter, “Anonymous,” makes an eloquent case for John Adams as one of the best presidents and trashes Thomas Jefferson. A must-read for history buffs.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Record Turnout Helped Texas Republicans, So Why Are They Still Pushing to Make It Harder to Vote? By Mike Snyder
- How Austin Cut One Third of Its Spending on the Police Department By Leif Reigstad
- What Does MAGA Look Like After Trump? This Weekend’s Protests Offer Clues. By Christopher Hooks
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe