Senate Democrats are blocking the Insurance sunset bill because they are unhappy that bill author Glenn Hegar has not accepted key amendments. Here’s a statement from Leticia Van de Putte: Senate Democrats are blocking the Texas Department of Insurance sunset legislation today because the bill does not yet protect consumers. If anything, it protects the insurance industry. Democrats want a bill that requires companies that improperly raise rates to be held accountable, and be immediately required to refund the excess rates that Texans pay. Democrats want a bill that stops insurance companies from discriminating against consumer by raising rates or denying coverage because of a Texan’s credit score, occupation, neighborhood or education level. I’m told the Democratic caucus held hands after pledging to block the bill today. Any predictions on how long their unity will last?
Sign up for the Armadillo
Weekly dispatches from the middle of the road of Texas politics.
- How the Pandemic Turned Brené Brown Into America’s Therapist
- How King Ranch Casserole Has Ruled During the Pandemic
- The West Texas Basketball Tournament at the Center of a Coronavirus Outbreak
- Aaron Franklin Will Be the Next Texan to Join the Barbecue Hall of Fame
- At Zoli’s, Smoked Brisket Lasagna Is a Revelation