A lot of people are writing Perry off after his awful performance in the Florida debate, but this poll was taken AFTER the disastrous debate. Perry is not a good debater. He is no match for his rivals, who know federal issues better than he does, and are much better at the tactics of debate. But the debate portion of the campaign is going to come to an end at some point, not too far distant, and when that happens, the focus will shift to meet-and-greets in Iowa and New Hampshire and other swing states. Perry is much better at connecting with people than Romney is. We can all make sport of Perry, but he is still in great position to win the nomination. Connecting with people is his specialty. Romney lacks the common touch.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Bull Session: Ted Cruz Says the Press Is “Giddy With Glee” Over Pandemic By Sean O'Neal
- Bull Session: Ted Cruz Says Keep Your Laws Off His Body By Sean O'Neal
- The Last Decade’s Ten Worst Years in Texas Politics By Christopher Hooks
- Bull Session: Remember the Alamo? And Wendy Davis? And That Peloton Ad? By Sean O'Neal
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley