A group of around twenty House conservatives is looking for a speaker candidate in the event Craddick doesn’t make it. They don’t see any of the announced candidates as acceptable, and their first choice is Warren Chisum. A lot of folks will be horrified by the idea of Chisum as speaker. Another West Texan. Another rural guy. A far-right social conservative. But I will say this about Warren Chisum, his recent presence on the Ten Worst legislators list notwithstanding. He is a straight-up person. He is sincere, fair, and honorable. He cares about the House as an institution. He doesn’t care much for partisan politics. I think he’d be a pretty decent speaker.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- He Rioted at the Capitol. Then for Weeks He Lived in Luxury While Hiding From the FBI. By Peter Holley
- They Accused a Man of Sexual Assault in a Small West Texas Town. That Was Only the Beginning. By Leif Reigstad
- Who’s Responsible for the Texas Blackouts? By Christopher Hooks
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe