Two more reasons why Dewhurst decided to announce that he is running for reelection: (1) I am told by two sources that he called Hutchison to ask about her plans — was she going to resign her seat and if so, when — and he did not like the answer that he got. (2) Word reached him that Abbott has been saying around town that he was going to run for lieutenant governor. For once, Dewhurst didn’t dither around. His announcement made it much more problematic for Abbott to get in the race. As with KBH, he would have to explain why he is taking on a strong incumbent and dividing the party.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Who’s Responsible for the Texas Blackouts? By Christopher Hooks
- The Texas Blackout Is the Story of a Disaster Foretold By Jeffrey Ball
- One of Texas’s Busiest Plumbers Explains What to Do if Your Pipes Burst By Andrea Zelinski
- Californians Could Ruin Texas—But Not the Way You Might Think By Christopher Hooks
- They Accused a Man of Sexual Assault in a Small West Texas Town. That Was Only the Beginning. By Leif Reigstad