Two more reasons why Dewhurst decided to announce that he is running for reelection: (1) I am told by two sources that he called Hutchison to ask about her plans — was she going to resign her seat and if so, when — and he did not like the answer that he got. (2) Word reached him that Abbott has been saying around town that he was going to run for lieutenant governor. For once, Dewhurst didn’t dither around. His announcement made it much more problematic for Abbott to get in the race. As with KBH, he would have to explain why he is taking on a strong incumbent and dividing the party.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- The Calls of Impropriety Are Coming From Inside Ken Paxton’s Office By Christopher Hooks
- Greg Abbott’s Voter Suppression Methods Have Become More Subtle—But They’re Still Transparent By Christopher Hooks
- Shelley Luther Calls Greg Abbott a “Tyrant Governor.” Can It Get Her Elected During a Pandemic? By Peter Holley
- Greg Abbott’s “Back the Blue” Posse Can’t Shoot Straight By Christopher Hooks
- The Unlikely Candidate Who Might Flip a Republican Stronghold By Luisita Lopez Torregrosa