Sen. Craig Este’s SB 18, which prohibits government entities from condemning land for speculative purposes, won unanimous approval by the Texas Senate. SB 18 makes it clear that government entities can condemn land only for government purposes after offering fair compensation. Estes credited colleagues Bob Duncan and Glen Hegar with contributing to the the collaborative effort, which he says took into account the disparate needs of urban areas like Harris County, as well as rural Texas. Estes predicted the measure would be well-received by the House — and the governor’s office. Gov. Rick Perry, who two years ago issued a controversial veto on an eminent domain bill over fears it would incite lawsuits, has indicated he is eager to sign an eminent domain bill protecting private property rights.
Sign up for the Armadillo
Weekly dispatches from the middle of the road of Texas politics.
- How the Pandemic Turned Brené Brown Into America’s Therapist
- How King Ranch Casserole Has Ruled During the Pandemic
- The West Texas Basketball Tournament at the Center of a Coronavirus Outbreak
- At Zoli’s, Smoked Brisket Lasagna Is a Revelation
- Aaron Franklin Will Be the Next Texan to Join the Barbecue Hall of Fame