11/14 Update: Peer Pressure works again! Now we have eight of the nine. (Delwin Jones, please report to me.) So who’s your favorite? Naturally, in the interest of bipartisanship and journalistic ethics, I will not be revealing my choice. 11/14 Update #2: Delwin Jones’s statement was lost in Evan Smith’s office clutter. The list now reflects this. We asked each of the candidates (as nicely as possible) for Speaker to submit statements on why they think they should hold the highly coveted gavel next session. Six have gotten back to us; three are MIA (you know who you are). Click to read them at Speaker Up.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Lina Hidalgo and Sylvester Turner Appear United. But Behind the Scenes Their Styles Clash. By Mike Snyder
- What Pandemic? Houstonians Party, Shop, and Ice-skate as COVID-19 Surges. By Peter Holley
- Tony Buzbee Ran as a Trumpian Shark in the First Round of the Houston Mayoral Race. Now He Appears to Be Dead in the Water. By Evan Mintz
- Let’s All Hope Tony Buzbee Drank a Lot of Water Last Night By Christopher Hooks
- The Unlikely Candidate Who Might Flip a Republican Stronghold By Luisita Lopez Torregrosa