This is the latest word on the Trent Lott resignation and its effect on Cornyn and Hutchison. I have spoken to both offices. By all accounts, Kyl will move up to Whip, and Hutchison and Cornyn will advance accordingly. No challenge to is expected. I’m sorry to hear that. The Republicans could use someone like Lamar Alexander in a leadership position. Maybe he will grab the vacancy as vice-chair of the Republican caucus, the position that Cornyn is vacating. But that spot may go to John Ensign of Nevada, the chair of the Republican National Senatorial Committee, making him the point person for the Republican senators’ reelection effort. Ensign previously ran against Cornyn for the vice-chair position and lost.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Despite Losing Power for Days, Texans Will Pay Higher Power Bills—Perhaps for Decades to Come By Loren Steffy
- The Great Texas Blackout Was Caused by a Failure to Ensure Supplies of Natural Gas By Charles Blanchard
- Greg Abbott Celebrated Texas Independence Day by Ending COVID-19 Restrictions By Dan Solomon
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe