This is the latest word on the Trent Lott resignation and its effect on Cornyn and Hutchison. I have spoken to both offices. By all accounts, Kyl will move up to Whip, and Hutchison and Cornyn will advance accordingly. No challenge to is expected. I’m sorry to hear that. The Republicans could use someone like Lamar Alexander in a leadership position. Maybe he will grab the vacancy as vice-chair of the Republican caucus, the position that Cornyn is vacating. But that spot may go to John Ensign of Nevada, the chair of the Republican National Senatorial Committee, making him the point person for the Republican senators’ reelection effort. Ensign previously ran against Cornyn for the vice-chair position and lost.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Meet the Harris County Voters Who Showed Up After Midnight to Cast a Ballot By Peter Holley
- The Unlikely Candidate Who Might Flip a Republican Stronghold By Luisita Lopez Torregrosa
- An Underdog Democrat Flipped Texas’s Thirty-second in 2018. Republicans Face an Uphill Battle to Win It Back. By Dan Solomon
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe