Guess who’s behind the president’s seemingly sudden shift on immigration policy? A GOP congressman tells me it’s our old friend Karl Rove, who has been spending much of his time on Capitol Hill lately, trying to sell the president’s guest worker policy. No sale: The response from Republicans, particularly Texas Republicans, was that securing the border has to come first. Rove got the message, and, evidently, so has Bush.
Sign up for the Armadillo
Weekly dispatches from the middle of the road of Texas politics.
- How the Pandemic Turned Brené Brown Into America’s Therapist
- The West Texas Basketball Tournament at the Center of a Coronavirus Outbreak
- How King Ranch Casserole Has Ruled During the Pandemic
- More Colorful Texas Sayings Than You Can Shake a Stick At
- Aaron Franklin Will Be the Next Texan to Join the Barbecue Hall of Fame