This just in from Will Hartnett’s office: Representative Will Hartnett, Master of Discovery for the Election Contest for Texas House District 48 releases the following statement: “After a thorough review of the numerous challenged ballots, I have concluded that Donna Howard won the House District 48 election by 4 votes. Voters who had moved out of Travis County without changing their voter registration and returned to vote in their former precinct caused a net subtraction of 7 votes from Ms. Howard’s margin of victory. Counting 4 unopened ballots subtracted a net of 2 votes from Ms. Howard’s margin. Striking 1 vote by a voter who was not effectively registered added 1 vote to her margin. I have seen no evidence of any voter fraud or of any substantial errors by any Travis County election official. My report will be released later this evening.” I believe that Hartnett presents his full report to a House Committee, which will review his findings. Will Dan Neil’s attorney, Joe Nixon, argue that the race is too close for comfort and that a rematch should be held? Stay tuned…
Sign up for the Armadillo
Weekly dispatches from the middle of the road of Texas politics.
- ‘How Can They Expect Peace When They Won’t Give Us Peace’: A Weekend of Demonstrations in Dallas Over Police Killings
- Priya Krishna’s Quarantine Journal, Entry No. 14: Savoring Time With the Parents
- The Houston Years of George Floyd
- Texas Monthly Recommends: Making a Backyard Water Park
- At Zoli’s, Smoked Brisket Lasagna Is a Revelation