Several people have asked me what John Kuempel’s status is. Sometimes the winner of a special election simply serves out the remainder of an unexpired term. However, the election code provides that if the vacancy occurs after the general election, as was the case here, then the winner of the special election serves the full term as well as the unexpired term. Mr. Kuempel will finish his father’s term and take his seat on January 11, with seniority based on December 14, 2010.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Can Chip Roy Hold Off the Democratic Shift in Suburban San Antonio and Austin? By Dan Solomon
- Who Is Austin’s Citizen Police Academy Meant to Serve? By Leif Reigstad
- Democrats Narrowly Lost the Twenty-fourth Congressional District in 2018. Can Candace Valenzuela Win It in This Cycle? By Dan Solomon
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe