Aren’t members of Congress supposed to bring home the bacon instead of taking it away? Tell that to Houston Republican John Culberson. He successfully amended an appropriations bill to cut off federal crimefighting funds to cities — Houston included — whose local authorities don’t aggressively seek out illegal aliens (a term that seems to have regained respectability at the expense of the once politically correct “undocumented workers”). Trouble is, as I heard law enforcement officials say on Houston’s KTRH radio, there aren’t enough officers to round up the illegal aliens, nor is there sufficient jail space to incarcerate them. Perhaps some federal crimefighting funds would help.
Sign up for the Armadillo
Weekly dispatches from the middle of the road of Texas politics.
- How the Pandemic Turned Brené Brown Into America’s Therapist
- The West Texas Basketball Tournament at the Center of a Coronavirus Outbreak
- How King Ranch Casserole Has Ruled During the Pandemic
- More Colorful Texas Sayings Than You Can Shake a Stick At
- Aaron Franklin Will Be the Next Texan to Join the Barbecue Hall of Fame