This is the race in El Paso that pits newcomer Marissa Marquez against Paul Moreno. It bears some resemblance to the Escobar-Rios Ybarra race, in that the female challenger has pizzazz and the male incumbent does not, and also that both women received Republican money. Marquez lost the early vote, narrowly, and has won election day voting by 454 votes, leaving her 189 votes ahead with 14 of 34 precincts reporting. I have always thought Marquez would win this race, but it is far from callable.
Sign up for the Armadillo
Weekly dispatches from the middle of the road of Texas politics.
- In Texas’s Food Deserts, Food Banks Struggle to Do More With Less
- Priya Krishna’s Quarantine Journal, Entry No. 13: A Surprise From Mom
- Taco of the Week: Weenies and Eggs at Los Muertos BBQ
- “If People Want to Take a Chance, It’s Their Prerogative”: Inside One Bar on the First Day of Reopening
- Dallas-Area High School Seniors Cope With a Semester—and Rites of Passage—Cut Short