This is the race in El Paso that pits newcomer Marissa Marquez against Paul Moreno. It bears some resemblance to the Escobar-Rios Ybarra race, in that the female challenger has pizzazz and the male incumbent does not, and also that both women received Republican money. Marquez lost the early vote, narrowly, and has won election day voting by 454 votes, leaving her 189 votes ahead with 14 of 34 precincts reporting. I have always thought Marquez would win this race, but it is far from callable.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley
- After Standing Up to Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, Congressman Chip Roy Faces an Uncertain Future in the Texas GOP By Jonathan Tilove
- The Texas Legislature Made It Just Three Days Without a COVID-19 Scare By Andrea Zelinski
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe