Perry has taken a lot of hits this week, perhaps the hardest of which came from GOP rival John Huntsman. Most of them won’t matter. Why? Because the criticism of Perry occurred in the context of a Republican primary race, which Perry is well situated to win. He passed Romney and Bachmann in the polls before he was officially a candidate. Bachmann has no chance to beat Perry, although she could slow him down in Iowa. Romney can still win if he can persuade voters that Perry is not electable. Most of Perry’s off-the-kuff commentary would be problematical only in a general election context.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Bull Session: Ted Cruz Says the Press Is “Giddy With Glee” Over Pandemic By Sean O'Neal
- Bull Session: Ted Cruz Says Keep Your Laws Off His Body By Sean O'Neal
- The Last Decade’s Ten Worst Years in Texas Politics By Christopher Hooks
- Bull Session: Remember the Alamo? And Wendy Davis? And That Peloton Ad? By Sean O'Neal
- The Texas Lege Always Debates Abortion. This Year It Will Do So With More Vigor. By Andrea Zelinski