During House debate a few minutes ago, the House suddenly stopped in its tracks. Bonnen was in the chair, and he said something about there being a situation that had arisen. Charlie Howard went to the front mike and asked for a moment of silent prayer for a member in distress. I called a member’s office and was told that Mr. Kuempel had collapsed in an elevator. This is unconfirmed. Ed Kuempel is one of the best-liked members in the House. He is so playful that some may have missed his evolution into a serious legislator. He has brought integrity to one of the more difficult positions in the House, the chairmanship of Licensing & Administrative Procedures. I know that everyone hopes and prays that he is able to return to his duties in full health.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Can Chip Roy Hold Off the Democratic Shift in Suburban San Antonio and Austin? By Dan Solomon
- Who Is Austin’s Citizen Police Academy Meant to Serve? By Leif Reigstad
- Democrats Narrowly Lost the Twenty-fourth Congressional District in 2018. Can Candace Valenzuela Win It in This Cycle? By Dan Solomon
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe