During House debate a few minutes ago, the House suddenly stopped in its tracks. Bonnen was in the chair, and he said something about there being a situation that had arisen. Charlie Howard went to the front mike and asked for a moment of silent prayer for a member in distress. I called a member’s office and was told that Mr. Kuempel had collapsed in an elevator. This is unconfirmed. Ed Kuempel is one of the best-liked members in the House. He is so playful that some may have missed his evolution into a serious legislator. He has brought integrity to one of the more difficult positions in the House, the chairmanship of Licensing & Administrative Procedures. I know that everyone hopes and prays that he is able to return to his duties in full health.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- After Standing Up to Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, Congressman Chip Roy Faces an Uncertain Future in the Texas GOP By Jonathan Tilove
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley
- The Texas Legislature Made It Just Three Days Without a COVID-19 Scare By Andrea Zelinski
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe