I declared on a recent Friday podcast that Don McLeroy’s confirmation as chairman of the State Board of Education was officially dead this session, but this afternoon Senate Nominations sent the controversial Bryan dentist’s confirmation to the Senate floor for a vote. So, to quote Billy Crystal’s character in “The Princess Bride,” McLeroy’s confirmation apparently was only mostly dead. The Statesman’s Ken Herman has posted a video of Nominations chair Mike Jackson explaining that McLeroy has been meeting with senators and has promises of support from 21 members. That indicates the Democrats won’t be voting as a bloc as had previously been assumed because of McLeroy’s stances on evolution and global-warming. Most senators are in committee and unavailable for polling, but speculation in the Capitol is that some Senate Finance members have decided to vote with their chairman: Steve Ogden is McLeroy’s senator.
Sign up for the Armadillo
Weekly dispatches from the middle of the road of Texas politics.
- For Years, an East Texas Carpenter Has Been Building a Gothic Contraption of Decks and Spikes in a Historic Square
- How the Pandemic Turned Brené Brown Into America’s Therapist
- The Dr. Fauci of South Texas
- The Secret History of the Texas Rangers
- More Colorful Texas Sayings Than You Can Shake a Stick At
- Dallas-Area High School Seniors Cope With a Semester—and Rites of Passage—Cut Short
- How Houston’s Museum of Fine Arts Planned Its Reopening
- José Ralat Believes the Taco Is Pandemic-Proof
- Priya Krishna’s Quarantine Journal, Entry No. 12: Our DIY Graduation Ceremony
- A Taste Test of Unusual Texas Barbecue Sauces