If this comes to pass, it will be a body blow to the Perry campaign, which has been counting heavily on South Carolina. Roll Call says both Romney and DeMint come from business backgrounds, giving Romney the inside track. A recent American Research Group poll showed Cain leading in the Palmetto state with 26%, Romney second with 25%, and Perry lagging at 12%. Subtext: Romney’s state director is Terry Sullivan, whom readers may remember as Kay Bailey Hutchison’s consultant in her primary race against Perry. A Romney victory over Perry would be sweet revenge for Sullivan. Update: I have been informed that Demint’s staff later disavowed this item.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- The Texas Lege Always Debates Abortion. This Year It Will Do So With More Vigor. By Andrea Zelinski
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley
- After Standing Up to Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, Congressman Chip Roy Faces an Uncertain Future in the Texas GOP By Jonathan Tilove
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe