According to the Secretary of State’s office, election division, the bill that changed the law was HB 1, Chapter 1, 78th Legislature, Third Called Session, 2003. This was the session in which the mid-census congressional redistricting map was adopted. The runoff was changed to the second Tuesday in April. Here is a link to the legislation: http://texinfo.library.unt.edu/sessionlaws/78thsession/bills/78cs3/HB1.pdf My thanks to the Secretary of State’s office and staff.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley
- After Standing Up to Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, Congressman Chip Roy Faces an Uncertain Future in the Texas GOP By Jonathan Tilove
- The Texas Legislature Made It Just Three Days Without a COVID-19 Scare By Andrea Zelinski
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe