The biggest non-story of the weekend. The State Republican Executive Committee is meeting, and on the agenda, I am told, are resolutions supporting the confirmation of Williamson County DA John Bradley for another term as chairman of the Texas Forensic Science Commission and Gail Lowe for another term as chair of the State Board of Education. Unless David Dewhurst (and perhaps Governor Perry as well) has managed to buy off some Democratic votes — and he would be well advised to keep his powder dry for getting the budget (a) out of the Finance Committee and (b) through a motion to suspend the rules — neither will be confirmed.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Can Chip Roy Hold Off the Democratic Shift in Suburban San Antonio and Austin? By Dan Solomon
- Who Is Austin’s Citizen Police Academy Meant to Serve? By Leif Reigstad
- Democrats Narrowly Lost the Twenty-fourth Congressional District in 2018. Can Candace Valenzuela Win It in This Cycle? By Dan Solomon
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe