The biggest non-story of the weekend. The State Republican Executive Committee is meeting, and on the agenda, I am told, are resolutions supporting the confirmation of Williamson County DA John Bradley for another term as chairman of the Texas Forensic Science Commission and Gail Lowe for another term as chair of the State Board of Education. Unless David Dewhurst (and perhaps Governor Perry as well) has managed to buy off some Democratic votes — and he would be well advised to keep his powder dry for getting the budget (a) out of the Finance Committee and (b) through a motion to suspend the rules — neither will be confirmed.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley
- The Texas Legislature Made It Just Three Days Without a COVID-19 Scare By Andrea Zelinski
- Amid a Spate of Late-Term Trump Pardons, Reality Winner’s Name Remains Conspicuously Absent By Leif Reigstad
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe