SurveyUSA’s monthly tracking poll of the approval rating of all state governors, released October 19, shows Rick Perry with 40% approval and 56% disapproval. Only seven governors had approval ratings lower than Perry’s. Normally, such a high disapproval record would suggest that he is headed for defeat, but this is not a normal governor’s race. And other governors with sub-50% approval ratings appear to be headed for reelection this year, including California’s Schwarzenegger (43%), Michigan’s Granholm (39%), and Illinois’ Blagojevich (38%).
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- “A Matter of Life and Death”: Latino Food Workers Are Terrified as COVID-19 Restrictions End By José R. Ralat
- Despite Losing Power for Days, Texans Will Pay Higher Power Bills—Perhaps for Decades to Come By Loren Steffy
- The Great Texas Blackout Was Caused by a Failure to Ensure Supplies of Natural Gas By Charles Blanchard
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe