What might the lineup of chairs look like if Paxton were to win the speakership? The qualifications are (1) must be part of the Paxton team, either pledged to Paxton or withdrew a pledge to Straus; (2) must have some connection to the committee’s jurisdiction, either through subject matter, previous service, or fitness for the position. Here’s my list: APPROPRIATIONS – Chisum CALENDARS – Laubenberg DEFENSE & VETERANS AFFAIRS – V. Taylor ELECTIONS – Berman GENERAL INVESTIGATING – Hughes HIGHER EDUCATION – Morrison HOUSE ADMINISTRATION – Christian LOCAL AND CONSENT CALENDARS – C. Howard PENSIONS, INVESTMENTS & FINANCIAL SERVICES -Flynn PUBLIC EDUCATION – Weber REDISTRICTING – P. King TECHNOLOGY – T. Parker WAYS & MEANS – Craddick (I added Charlie Howard to the list of Paxton chairs, since he is not on the Straus pledge list. He is chairman of Local & Consent, a committee he chaired under Craddick.) Still looking for: INSURANCE PUBLIC HEALTH NATURAL RESOURCES TRANSPORTATION
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- The Texas Lege Always Debates Abortion. This Year It Will Do So With More Vigor. By Andrea Zelinski
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley
- After Standing Up to Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, Congressman Chip Roy Faces an Uncertain Future in the Texas GOP By Jonathan Tilove
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe