The news that Speaker Joe Straus has become the Vice Chair of the Republican Legislative Campaign should be the final nail in the coffin of Michael Quinn Sullivan and Empower Texans. Of course I know it won’t. But it should end any speculation that Straus has any political worries whatsoever; indeed, the opposite is true: Straus now has the chance to become a national figure.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Showdown at the J.W. Marriott: What the Bonnen-McNutt Tussle Signals about the Political Wars to Come By Christopher Hooks
- The Power Issue: Rafael Anchia and Mary González Are Standing Up for Hispanic Interests at the Capitol By Carlos Sanchez
- Texas Lawmakers Speak Out Against Family Separation Policies By Carlos Sanchez and R.G. Ratcliffe
- Empower Texans, Tea Party Lose in GOP Races By R.G. Ratcliffe
- Democrats Narrowly Lost the Twenty-fourth Congressional District in 2018. Can Candace Valenzuela Win It in This Cycle? By Dan Solomon