Much recent speculation has centered on the possibility that Governor Perry is seeking to appoint former legislator Ron Wilson to, depending upon who you believe, the UT Board of Regents or the board that oversees the Department of Public Safety. The powers that be at UT apparently voiced their objections to Wilson, who was not among the threesome recently named by Perry, and I have heard that Kirk Watson would invoke senatorial courtesy to block Wilson’s appointment at DPS. As readers will remember, Wilson represented Houston in the Legislature, and it is possible he could claim Houston residency to avoid a Watson blackball.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley
- The Texas Legislature Made It Just Three Days Without a COVID-19 Scare By Andrea Zelinski
- Amid a Spate of Late-Term Trump Pardons, Reality Winner’s Name Remains Conspicuously Absent By Leif Reigstad
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe