Here is my understanding of the school finance proposal. As of this writing, the deal is not done. It will take $4B to fund the foundation school program. The plan is to provide $2 billion in proration ($1B per year) and $2B in target revenue reductions. The runs would use the Shapiro plan. What Governor Perry does not want (on the off chance that he isn’t president) is for the state to owe a bunch of money when the Legislature comes back into session.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- The Texas Lege Always Debates Abortion. This Year It Will Do So With More Vigor. By Andrea Zelinski
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley
- After Standing Up to Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, Congressman Chip Roy Faces an Uncertain Future in the Texas GOP By Jonathan Tilove
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe