We have heard a lot of brave talk from Texas Democrats about how vulnerable John Cornyn is, but some of the major national political Web sites have a different take on the 08 Senate race. It’s not promising for the Democrats. With $3.8 million in the bank as of April, Cornyn had more money on hand than any Republican senator except minority leader Mitch McConnell. Larry Sabato’s Crystal Ball rates the race “solid Republican,” as does Charles Cook’s political report. Sabato adds, “All ten southern Republican incumbents up for reelection appear to be in good shape.” Congressional Quarterly calls it, “Republican Favored.” I don’t mean to spoil the party, but realism is as important in politics as optimism.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Despite Losing Power for Days, Texans Will Pay Higher Power Bills—Perhaps for Decades to Come By Loren Steffy
- The Great Texas Blackout Was Caused by a Failure to Ensure Supplies of Natural Gas By Charles Blanchard
- Greg Abbott Celebrated Texas Independence Day by Ending COVID-19 Restrictions By Dan Solomon
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe