We have heard a lot of brave talk from Texas Democrats about how vulnerable John Cornyn is, but some of the major national political Web sites have a different take on the 08 Senate race. It’s not promising for the Democrats. With $3.8 million in the bank as of April, Cornyn had more money on hand than any Republican senator except minority leader Mitch McConnell. Larry Sabato’s Crystal Ball rates the race “solid Republican,” as does Charles Cook’s political report. Sabato adds, “All ten southern Republican incumbents up for reelection appear to be in good shape.” Congressional Quarterly calls it, “Republican Favored.” I don’t mean to spoil the party, but realism is as important in politics as optimism.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Record Turnout Helped Texas Republicans, So Why Are They Still Pushing to Make It Harder to Vote? By Mike Snyder
- How Austin Cut One Third of Its Spending on the Police Department By Leif Reigstad
- What Does MAGA Look Like After Trump? This Weekend’s Protests Offer Clues. By Christopher Hooks
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe