So, where is this election cycle headed? Obviously, there will be a showdown in the governor’s race between Greg Abbott and Wendy Davis. But there will also be a major push by the tea party to extend its influence by trying to drive mainstream Republicans out of the Legislature. I believe that they will be successful in this initiative, but … be careful what you wish for. The tea party is going to find that its success will be a millstone around its neck.The far right will have to govern, but they won’t have a clue what to do, and their incompetence will lead to their own demise, permanently. When that occurs, the game is over, and the Legislature will return to normalcy. What we have seen occur in the current era of far-right madness is not sustainable.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe
- “Will Rap 4 Weed” and Other Independent Candidates for Governor You Probably Won’t Hear About Again in 2018 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- The Republican Tax Bill Likely Will Add to the Coming Explosion in the National Debt By Bill King
- Ken Paxton Rules That Licensed Handgun Owners Can Bring a Firearm to Church By R.G. Ratcliffe