Texas Monthly & Walker Lukens #MyUntoldStory Contest
Confess Your Untold Story for Walker Lukens’ project The Song Confessional for A Chance to Win!
Do you have an untold story that you’re dying to confess? We’re excited to announce that we’re teaming up with Walker Lukens and his Song Confessional project as part of our official SXSW music event, Texas Music: The Untold Stories. The show will feature beloved Texas musicians from all over the state, representing a multitude of genres and take the stage to tell intimate, never-before-heard stories interwoven with music at ACL Live.
Austin-based musician Walker Lukens will turn one lucky reader’s story into an original song and perform it live onstage at the March 17 show. The winner will also receive two free tickets to the show and get their song pressed into a one-of-a-kind seven-inch vinyl record.
To enter, send your 300-word story to [email protected] or comment your story on Texas Monthly’s Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter and show us some love by using the hashtag #myuntoldstory. Submissions due by 02/20/2020 by 11:59 pm CST.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. EACH PARTICIPANT AGREES TO THESE OFFICIAL RULES. THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
1. ELIGIBILITY: This contest (“Contest”) is open to those who submit an entry in accordance with the Rules by either commenting on Sponsor’s social media posts on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram (the “Sites”) announcing this Contest or by emailing Sponsor at [email protected] This Contest is only open to those who are 18 years of age or older as of the date of entry. This Contest is only open to legal U.S. residents, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor and other companies associated with the promotion of this Contest, Sponsor’s affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, and immediate family members (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and/or those living in the same household of employees of the foregoing are not eligible to participate in this Contest. This Contest is subject to all federal, state, local, municipal laws and regulations and the rules of the Sites.
2. AGREEMENT TO RULES: By participating, you the participant (“You”) agree to be fully and unconditionally bound by these rules (the “Rules”), and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements of the Contest.
3. CONTEST PERIOD – START AND END DATE: Entries will be accepted starting February 13, 2020 at 12 PM CST and ending February 20, 2020 at 11:59 PM CST. Entries that are submitted before or after such period are subject to disqualification by Sponsor.
4. ENTRY RULES: This Contest must be entered by submitting text content of Your untold story, which submission must be entered either by commenting on Sponsor’s social media post on the Sites announcing this Contest or by emailing Sponsor at [email protected] Your entry must meet all of the Rules to be eligible to win the prize. Incomplete entries or entries that do not comply with such requirements will be subject to disqualification by Sponsor. If Sponsor requests additional information in connection with Your submission, You agree to promptly provide such additional information. You may enter the Contest as many times as You wish; however, each entry must be comprised of a different untold story. Any attempted circumvention of the rules will result in immediate disqualification from this Contest.
5. ORIGINAL CONTENT; OWNERSHIP: By participating in this Contest, You represent and warrant that the content of your entry is original, and that You are the exclusive owner of the copyright and all other proprietary rights in such content. You further represent and warrant that You have the right to grant to any third party (and by submitting Your entry, you grant Sponsor and Artist) the right to use, reproduce, distribute, perform, re-imagine and display the content of Your entry. You represent and warrant that prior to submitting Your entry, to the extent applicable, You have obtained any necessary or appropriate clearances, permissions and releases, failing which (without limitation to its other rights) Sponsor may elect to disqualify Your entry. If any third party claims that the contents of Your entry (or the use of such contents by Sponsor or Artist in reliance on your representations or warranties or the rights granted by You in these Rules) infringe its rights of intellectual property or otherwise, You shall, at your sole cost and expense, defend or settle such claims. Further, You shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor, Artist and the Sites against any liabilities, losses, damages, costs or expenses, which any of them may incur in connection with any such third party claim or from Your participation in the Contest.
6. RIGHTS GRANTED BY CONTEST PARTICIPANTS: By entering this Contest You understand and agree that Sponsor, anyone acting on behalf of Sponsor, and Sponsor’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, re-imagine and use in any media or format now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, the contents of your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about this Contest, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent and you waive all such rights.
7. DISCLAIMER OF RESPONSIBILITY: Sponsor is not responsible for problems with Contest entries or the functionality of the Sites, including but not limited to, entries which are lost, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, illegible, or cannot be completed due to electronic or technical difficulties, even if the problem is the result of the sole or partial negligence of Sponsor.
8. PRIZE; WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION: The winner of the Contest (the “Winner”) will receive two (2) tickets to the performance of Texas Music: The Untold Stories on March 17, 2020 at 8 p.m. in Moody Theater, Austin, Texas, plus a recording of the Song (hereinafter defined) on a seven-inch vinyl record. Winner will be selected by Walker Luken (the “Artist”) under the supervision of Sponsor. The Artist will write and compose a song entitled Confessional (the “Song”) based upon the winning submitted text content. Winner will be notified of its selection by email, Facebook message or Tweet or Twitter direct message within seven (7) days following the Winner selection to claim the ticket portion of the prize. The recording of the Song will be available within seven (7) days after the Artist supplies same to Sponsor. The Sponsor is not responsible if the Winner fails to receive the notice about the prize due to any security settings, Winner’s failure to provide contact information or Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible or fails to claim the prize within five (5) days from the time the award notification was sent, the prize may be deemed forfeited by Sponsor. If the Winner is considered a minor in their place of residence, Sponsor reserves the right to place the prize in the name of the Winner’s parent or legal guardian who will be requested to sign the Declaration of Claim on the Winner’s behalf. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Contest is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. If the Winner is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor is not obliged to provide an alternate prize or extend the Contest Period in any way, and all privileges as Winner will be terminated immediately and forfeited. If You provide false, fraudulent or deceptive entries or engage in false, fraudulent or deceptive acts in connection with this Contest, You will be disqualified and may be subject to criminal prosecution.
9. HOW TO CLAIM THE PRIZE: The Winner can choose to have their prize mailed, or to pick up their prize at Sponsor’s business office located at 816 Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas 78701. The prize may be picked up any time between the hours of 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, excluding holidays. If the prize is mailed to the Winner, the Winner assumes the risk of the prize’s safe arrival.
10. TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this Contest for any reason, including without limitation, due to a virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or any other cause affecting the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of this Contest. If such case occurs, Sponsor may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Any attempt by an entrant to manipulate or otherwise prejudice the Winner selection process and the legitimate operation of this Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil laws.
11. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By entering this Contest, You agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representative, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors, Artist and the Sites from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from:
a. Your participation in this Contest and/or Your acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof;
b. technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, software, or other mechanical equipment;
c. the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or internet service;
d. unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or this Contest;
e. electronic or human error in the administration of this Contest or the processing of entries.
12. GOVERNING LAW; VENUE: All matters arising out of or relating to this Contest shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Texas without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule. Any claim or cause of action arising under this Release may be brought only in the federal and state courts located in Harris County, and You irrevocably agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts.
14. SPONSOR: The Sponsor of this Contest is Texas Monthly LLC, P.O. Box 1596, Austin, Texas 78767-1569. Phone: 512-320-6900. Fax: 512-476-9007
15. SOCIAL MEDIA PROMOTION: Sponsor may utilize the Sites to promote sweepstakes, contests or giveaways. You understand and agree that any such promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with any Site.