The Gut Pak is to Waco what rings of smoked sausage are to Lockhart. It’s part of the city’s barbecue identity. A Gut Pak is smoked sausage, barbecue, beans, and cheese, and a few other items piled high atop a mess of Fritos, making this the huskier cousin of a Frito pie.Sometime in
– Emilio and Christi Soliz are cooking their own brand of Mexi-Q at Kings Hwy Brew & Q in San Antonio.– 2M Smokehouse got some high praise from San Antonio Express News critic Mike Sutter.– Pitt Stop BBQ in Lufkin might be the cleanest barbecue joint in
There’s a new beef rib in town. Carnal has found a temporary home in Austin, the epicenter of the Texas barbecue boom, while their spot back home, Brooklyn’s Smorgasburg, is closed for the winter. James Zamory and Aaron Saurer, the duo that make up Carnal, draw inspiration from Texas’s
Barbecue steeped in homemade sauce and traditions.
– “I think people that have secrets in cooking, I really think they’re a**holes.” – Pat Martin: – The KCBS is now accepting nominations for their BBQ Hall of Fame through March 1st.– Killen’s Barbecue in Pearland is now open for dinner, and they’re planning a second location
Update: Mark Loeffler, communications director for the Texas Department of Agriculture*, provided more details on their enforcement effort. Operation Maverick was launched in June 2015 to target any business buying or selling goods by weight. He didn’t have current numbers, but by March 2016, they had inspected 1,400 barbecue joints.
Oyster shells crackled under the car tires as I pulled into Gilhooley’s in San Leon. The parking lot is paved with them, and a pile taller than me rose like a dune at one end of the parking lot. A storm was rolling into the small town on the Gulf
“How I cook here is exactly how I cook in my backyard,” Pinkerton said—maybe because it is his backyard.
After thousands of barbecue meals, I’ve never been struck ill by smoked meat. Maybe it’s the long cooking time, or the preservative qualities provided by a layer of wood smoke, or maybe I’ve just been lucky. Either way, I put that streak to the test over the weekend.“How long can
– The playoffs can be tough, but don’t leave your grill behind: When your team loses in the playoffs and you just say the hell with it & leave the Weber in the parking lot. #chiefs pic.twitter.com/sFSGGtrTUb — David Eulitt (@davidphotokc) January 16, 2017 –
A small town barbecue rivalry that's really no contest.
– This breed of dog was essential to barbecue in the 1600’s: For hundreds of years the now-extinct turnspit dog was specially bred just to turn a roasting mechanism for meat https://t.co/1SJJYtrE1S — Atlas Obscura (@atlasobscura) January 11, 2017 – Our new favorite golfer, Davis Love
After an incredible championship game on Monday night, this season of college football is (sadly) behind us. But that means we can now focus solely on the NFL playoffs, in which the Texans are still alive and the Cowboys look to avenge Dez Bryant’s “non-catch” from a 2015 game
One small tweak made a big difference for this spicy, balanced barbecue.
– Have we gone too far? Bacon-wrapped ribs: Bacon-wrapped ribs, and 7 delicious bacon-wrapped recipes – Fired Up Food https://t.co/4cAVUQSCV8 pic.twitter.com/fcMCrziQFy — Heavy Metal BBQ (@HeavyMetal_BBQ) January 2, 2017 – With a new smoker, Killen’s Barbecue in Pearland plans to add dinner service
The best cut of beef your butcher won't sell.
Tried-and-true Texas barbecue since 1978.
Debating with our SideKick.
– Barbecue deflation at Snow’s BBQ: The 10 best things I ate in 2016. https://t.co/t7VF8wa4UW — Danny Chau (@dannychau) December 20, 2016 – The Today Show sent a crew to Austin to see how they cook the barbecue at Franklin. – Munchies highlights the
In the second season of 24 Hour Restaurant Battle,* it was a battle between fajitas and barbecue. A Texas barbecue couple, Michael and Katie Hunt, were in contention for an investment to open their concept if they impressed the judges. When Katie served a plate of smoked sausage to
The state's finest onion rings, okra and more.
From dry to done in 90 minutes.
This trailer serves up quality barbecue for a heck of a deal.
Leaning on the Texas crutch.
– This blast from Jim Henson’s past may make you miss your mama’s barbecue: – J C Reid of the Houston Chronicle samples the new-school barbecue at Pinkerton’s.– Just in time for a Houston Super Bowl, a bunch of new restaurants are opening in downtown, including Bud’s
Lubbock guitarist, Jesse “Guitar” Taylor, was hitchhiking in Lubbock when a Cadillac pulled up. A stranger offered him a ride and Taylor hopped in. They drove for a bit and stopped in front of Stubb’s Bar-B-Que in East Lubbock. “I’ve walked by this place so many times and never been
Rose Diamond once ruled the world of smoked turkey. In 1938, customers in New York, Miami, and Hollywood enjoyed her smoked turkeys shipped out from her Fort Worth home. According to The Claude News, they brined for at least ten days before being smoked in a brick pit in Diamond’s
– Louie Gohmert has a burning desire to cook ribs at the US Capital: Louie Gohmert is still mad the Architect of the Capitol tried to shut down his balcony barbecue operation. pic.twitter.com/tvxjEi4fev — JM Rieger (@RiegerReport) December 2, 2016 – It looks like
A couple years ago, I wrote about how barbecue around the country was starting to look the same. There was a certain aesthetic that permeated the upstart barbecue joints in Texas, the rest of the U.S., and even the international scene. At the time I was a little
From side-lovers to vegetarians, there's something for everyone at this adventurous joint.
What is your greatest fear? It’s a simple question you’re rarely faced with outside of an interview setting. We just got a new editor in chief (congrats to Tim Taliaferro) at Texas Monthly, so I may have to reinterview for this barbecue editor gig. You never know how these things
– The world’s largest barbecue pit went to Galveston to help cook Thanksgiving dinner for the Salvation Army: – “[A] Yeti cooler may be the greatest source of weekender braggadocio since the Big Green Egg smoker.”– “And like French wine and Italian cheese, the singular character of Texas
Smoking on a backyard grill.
There are certain dishes that every good Texan knows and loves. But do you really know how to grill a flawless ribeye? Season that cast-iron skillet in your cupboard? Make sure your dough rises? We asked experts around the state to share some how-tos and a few recipes that will
I had arrived at Cattleack Barbecue in Dallas later than I’d planned. I expected the line to be long at 11:15 that morning, but it was a real whopper. It snaked through the stanchions set up to herd the crowd and all the way down the side of the new
– Meat Fight in Dallas raised $175,000 in the fight against MS.– The Dallas Observer has a slideshow from Meat Fight.– Check out these scenes from the 7th annul Blues ,Bandits, & BBQ fest in Oak Cliff.– It’s just that the photo doesn’t look
Protest season seems to be upon us after the recent election. Citizens are taking to the streets to show their displeasure with a new leader, which isn’t anything new in the United States. Before the original Brexit united us, we were anything but polite. Of course you remember the Boston Tea
The McKinney butcher shop now operates a barbecue food truck.
When Charlie Geren opened Railhead Smokehouse in Fort Worth, he had already failed at his previous attempt at the restaurant business. Geren said he had just “lost his ass” in a “steak and beer joint” in north Fort Worth, but decided to partner with a pitmaster friend,
– Austin’s? I think you meant “the World’s.” The making of one of Austin’s very best breakfast tacos https://t.co/V2dZfTIdjB — Eater Austin (@EaterAustin) November 5, 2016 – The upscale smoked meat restaurant Smoky Rose will open later this year across from the Dallas Arboretum. –
This story about the amazing Tootsie Tomanetz originally ran in our October issue. We’re posting it here in its entirety along with a collection of photos from Wyatt McSpadden. He was assigned with capturing the essence of Tootsie for the story, which he did masterfully, but we could only run so
Leftover brisket is a fact of life for most barbecue joints, but how they use it says a lot about their commitment to quality. It’s far better suited for fortifying pinto beans than to be back on the slicing block for day two. I’ve eaten fine chopped brisket sandwiches, tacos,
After a 6 year hiatus, Rap's is back in business.
– The Texas Monthly BBQ Festival wrapped up on Sunday, and the Brisket and Bagels blog has a great collection of photos from the event.– The barbecue festival was also well covered by Texas BBQ Treasure Hunt, Escape Hatch Dallas, and…– …The Smoking Ho:
Alice Lassaude. Image from her Facebook pageAlice Lassaude is an incredibly funny writer with a James Beard award to show for it. She’s also the Meat Queen of Meat Fight, or more properly, the CEO of Meat Fight, Inc. Meat Fight is a barbecue competition
Five years after opening, Texas Monthly Top 50 barbecue joint Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew is expanding. The original isn’t going anywhere, but a taste of their excellent beef ribs will be a lot closer for barbecue fans in Dripping Springs around this time next year. The build-to-suit project west
– You have three days to get your tickets to Sunday’s Texas Monthly BBQ Festival.– You have four days to get us your nomination for the next Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ List.– The fourth installment of Burnt Legend: – Tuffy Stone and his Cool Smoke
Burnt ends aren’t just for brisket anymore. And let’s get something out of the way, Kansas City barbecue fans: don’t get too sanctimonious about proper burnt ends only coming from a brisket; I’ve had ham and sausage burnt ends in your city.Beef belly burnt ends were the special last week
This coming Sunday, we’ll host the TMBBQ Festival in Austin (tickets are available here), where the best of Texas barbecue comes to serve as much barbecue as you can eat. Every barbecue joint in attendance was featured in our Texas Monthly Top 50 list (plus a few newcomers), but
In Glen Rose, the biggest competitor to Hammond’s BBQ is… the Hammond family.