Larry McGuire ought to be buffing his nails on the front of his chef’s jacket right about now. Esquire just named Perla’s, his baby, one of its best new restaurants of the year. The annual list is compiled by restaurant critic John Mariani. Perla’s, on S. Congress in Austin, is the only Texas restaurant recognized this time around. The November issue of Esquire will be on newstands Oct 13.
Food & Drink Newsletter
Eat and imbibe like a Texan with reviews, recipes, news, and more.
- The Houston Years of George Floyd
- “I Can’t Believe This Is America”: On the Front Lines With the Volunteers Tending to Austin’s Injured Protesters
- In Amarillo, a Mexican Restaurant Named ‘Big Beaners’ Provokes Controversy
- What Exactly Does the New York Times Think the Alamo Is?
- How King Ranch Casserole Has Ruled During the Pandemic
- The Hero Myth of Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo
- San Antonio Colonial Tortilla Factory Keeps the Ancient Craft of Tortilla-Making Alive
- Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly Yearns for the Days When We Argued About Reclining Seats
- “We Can’t Rely on the Systems That Everybody Else Relies On”: Trans Texans Struggle With Health Care Access During COVID-19
- A New Texas COVID-19 Tracker Offers a Ton of Useful Information