No. 1 History Runs Deep
The Greenbrier’s Golf Pro Emeritus, Sam Snead and President Dwight D. Eisenhower
Here at The Greenbrier, we are known for our history. It all started in 1778, when our guests came to visit and “take the waters” to restore their health. As a result of its popularity, throughout the 19th century it was regarded as “the great Southern social resort.” The Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Railway purchased the property in 1910 because they found that everyone who traveled to the resort came by their trains. Shortly after, they built The Greenbrier hotel in 1913 and The Old White Golf Course in 1914. Then, in 1936, Sam Snead, the resort’s long-time golf pro emeritus, began his illustrious career at The Greenbrier. The resort served as Ashford General Hospital (an Army hospital) during World War II, and was comprehensively redecorated by Dorothy Draper shortly after the war. In 1958, perhaps the biggest project to develop at The Greenbrier began– A partnership with the U.S. Government, to provide an emergency relocation center (a bunker) for Congress to be used in case of conflict during the Cold War era. Declassification of “The Bunker” occurred in 1995, when the Washington Post broke the news of the top-secret location. Presently, The Bunker is open to the public and welcome tours throughout the year.
For more information about The Greenbrier, visit greenbrier.com or call 866-973-8778. For information on how you can call The Greenbrier Sporting Club home, visit greenbriersportingclub.com or call 844-223-3154.