The Texas Monthly Gulf Coast Show Home at Cinnamon Shore is more than a spectacular, three-story model home. This 3,900 square-foot showplace is a move-in-ready masterpiece that epitomizes this New Urban community in Port Aransas, Texas. “The Show Home was designed and built with Cinnamon Shore’s mission in mind: to bring together multiple generations in a place where they’ll long to return,” says Jeff Lamkin, developer of the Gulf Coast’s premiere, New Urban community.
The Perfect Location
Showing its readers the best of the Gulf Coast lifestyle, Texas Monthly partnered with Cinnamon Shore, a master-planned development that feels like small-town America at the beach. The Show Home rises with a crisp, sail-white exterior across from the community’s Great Lawn and just a stroll away from the beach. Architect Bill Davies of Davies Collaborative says the pure white exterior allows its coastal cottage vernacular to shine – from exposed brackets and exterior rafters to a central tower that nestles into the gabled roofline.
The home’s architecture is timeless yet the home is state-of-the-art, and because it’s clad in durable LP® Smartside® Siding and Trim, it promises longevity. Climate-tested in Hawaii, this durable siding has the look of real wood grain, and it’s engineered to resist moisture and termites, high-impact damage, and heat damage. On the Show Home, the horizontal lap siding on the lower level nods to classic beach cottage style from a generation ago, but it offers longlasting curb appeal.
1. AdvanTech® subfloor adhesive from Huber Engineered Wood (HEW) creates a solid flooring that reduces squeaks. 2. Classic, double-hung windows let in sunlight and secure against high winds and moisture, thanks to the high-tech ingenuity of the Integrity® line by Marvin® Windows and Doors. 3. Sliding porch screens envisioned by builder Cass Brewer of Legacy DCS provide shade and privacy. Their dark grey hue complements grey, durable, all-weather porch decking under sky-blue, engineered wood on the porch ceiling. Trex®; LP® Smartside® Siding & Trim 4. LP® Smartside® Siding & Trim engineered wood siding has wood grain detail that adds character, giving the look of beach cottages from another era, as it protects against rot, moisture, and sun damage. 5. The home’s efficient Toshiba Carrier Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) System allows targeted, room-by-room temperature adjustments.
With a two-story, wrap-around porch and a third-floor tower deck, the house connects with Cinnamon Shore, while serving as a private retreat for multi-generational families. The five-bedroom home easily accommodates up to three families. The second-floor master suite and a third-floor getaway suite offer luxury to more than one couple, while a kid-friendly bunk room and two other guest rooms house children, teens, and other guests. Two laundry rooms allow families to easily tend to their own beach towels and short sets. Next to the stairway, a custom, 8-foot-tall elevator from D&D Elevator guarantees easy access to all three levels. With white, shaker wood paneling and engineered hardwood floors, the elevator has an automated gate that closes behind a single, full-light French door.
The main living space – a living room-kitchendining room that soars two stories high – opens onto the wrap-around porch. “It’s really the heart of the home,” says architect John D’Agostino of Davies Collaborative, noting the easy flow between indoors and out. Here and throughout, selections from Marvin® Windows and Doors’ Integrity® line give the classic look of early-1900s, double-hung windows and traditional French door styling – with the trusted performance of Ultrex® fiberglass exterior, rated for hurricane-strength impacts. Their real pine frame interiors accept stain to match interiors.
1. The sunlight-flooded, two-story main living space flows into a spectacular kitchen and dining area. A beaded chandelier and handsome wall sconces also light the space, while details such as throw pillows add to the relaxed look. Decorative wood framing and ceiling beams showcase the home’s architectural bones. Circa Lighting®; Integrity® by Marvin® Windows and Doors; Interiors: Brewer Design Solutions. 2. The wide entry, lined with sail-white shiplap and a drop-off point for flip-flops and beach bags , leads to the stairway and a custom-designed elevator, which makes the three-story house easily accessible for all. D&D Elevator. 3. Sliding screens open and close on the wrap-around porch, shielding seating by Summer Classics from passersby and midday sun. Trex®; LP® Smartside® Siding & Trim. 4. A grouping of all-weathered furnishings by Summer Classics, finished with pillows and an ottoman by Laurie Bell, overlooks Cinnamon Shore’s Great Lawn. Trex®; LP® Smartside® Siding & Trim.
A Group Effort
From the start, Davies Collaborative worked closely with Cass Brewer of Legacy DCS, known for his green building practices and energy efficient, highend homes, and his wife Carrie Brewer, the innovative designer at Brewer Design Solutions. The team understands the vision of Cinnamon Shore for bringing families together and why it’s attracting Texans in the know. “Jeff Lamkin’s strict attention to detail at Cinnamon Shore inspired all of us at Legacy DCS because his vision for the area aligns with our philosophy and desire to create one-of-a-kind lifestyles and spaces,” says Cass.
“The Show Home was a collaborative effort,” Davies says. For instance, the Davies architects welcomed Carrie Brewer’s ideas for interior components that add character. “I loved working on the architectural details of the interior, adding beautiful beam and wooden wall details,” Carrie says, pointing to a 200-year-old Texas barn beam mounted in the kitchen and other woodwork. “A beautiful home requires strong features that frame the design.”
The team collaborated on exquisite porches, including shuttered screens that open and close on the lower porch giving shade and privacy. Cass Brewer envisioned the idea, the Davies team executed the deck-to-ceiling sliding, slatted screens, and Carrie Brewer dressed the shaded space with style, using Summer Classics all-weather seating and all-weather pillows by Laurie Bell. Carrie also designed seating for porches and throughout the home with local woodworker Herb Lancaster as part of a new venture called B&L Furnishings. “We worked hard to create a mix of the best in classic lines with the clean, easy look of contemporary rooms,” says Carrie.
On all the porches, Trex® composite decking – resistant to fading, staining, scratching, and mold – provides durability. With the look of rich wood, the decking will never rot, warp, crack or splinter, and on the first level, both the porch surface and sliding screens have a dark grey color that contrasts with the home’s stark white exterior. The team selected a sky-blue accent color for the LP Siding on porch ceilings, where revolutionary, wet-rated fans from Haiku® Homes by Big Ass Solutions will weather the coast’s harsh conditions. Stainless steel components and auto-grade paint, along with a protective coating on electronics, makes these fans different from others on the market today.
1. Atop a farmhouse-style kitchen island, the quartzite counter has a matte, leathered finish, offering an aged look and plenty of workspace. Designer Carrie Brewer chose a navy-green-and-white backsplash behind open shelving and cabinetry in navy blue and above the high-performance, six-burner gas range. J. Tribble Collection; Tanza Granite Inc.; Bertazzoni; Ferguson. 2. Turned legs on the kitchen island showcase the piece’s custom look, also achieved with taupe-and-white rubbed finish. Tribble Collection. 3. The 48-inch, double oven features a glossy white finish that works well with stainless appliances and navy cabinetry. Bertazzoni; J. Tribble Collection. 4. Made to resemble a hutch, floor-to-ceiling cabinetry stretches to the back wall, taking advantage of every inch of storage space. J. Tribble Collection; Bertazzoni; Tanza Granite Inc. 5. Open shelving provides a contemporary look and easy access to glassware and dishes. J. Tribble Collection.
Beautiful and Efficient
The Legacy DCS team used high-tech building products and efficiency-conscious building techniques that have become the hallmark of the company’s homes. Huber Engineered Wood’s ZIP System® sheathing and tape wraps the frame, giving it a snug defense against coastal moisture with air-tight seals along seams and ensuring energy efficiency by guarding against air leakage. The technology is unique, and the solid envelope it creates is becoming essential for high-end construction, especially on the coast. HEW’s AdvanTech® offers similar advantages for the flooring system. An engineered resin technology makes the sub-floor moisture resistant. Made with more wood, it feels solid and dependable on all levels of the home for life, and it guards against squeaks and creaks. You can’t see these building components in the finished product, but they help guarantee that generations will return to a stalwart home for decade after decade at Cinnamon Shore.
Offering residents homes that will stand the test of time is a priority at Cinnamon Shore. With building materials like those from Huber Wood and the energy- efficient line from Marvin Windows and Doors, the Show Home team could execute the sustainable design they envisioned, and the home was certified platinum by the Coastal Bend Green Built sustainable building initiative, the highest level of compliance. “Our clients will be living in these rooms and putting down roots for the future,” Cass says. “That is why our high-quality vendors allow us to create a home that is not only sustainable, with high-energy efficiency, but also beautifully crafted and designed.”
In such a high-end vacation home, monitoring it while away becomes crucial. The Show Home’s Carrier® Côr™ smart home automation system allows homeowners to remotely monitor glass breaks, water sensors, thermostats, and garage door activity from a smartphone – without paying a service fee to a security service, and it offers programming capability based on homeowner habits. Carrier technology also offers the very latest in heating-and -cooling with the home’s highly efficient, singlephase Toshiba Carrier Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) System, which allows simultaneous heating and cooling in different parts of the home and automatically makes adjustments that eliminate hot or cold spots in between. After all, especially in South Texas heat, comfort inside a beach house is imperative, and this system, brand-new to the residential market, ensures room-by-room, custom comfort from the top-floor to the bottom. Plus, the unit takes up less space and runs quietly.
1. All-white interiors with navy accents continue into the dreamy master bath, with its subtle grey-and-white tile, wood palette-inspired wall treatment, and allwhite countertops. Plumbing fixtures with contemporary lines and an antique-looking finish called Luxe Gold add grandeur. Brizo; Circa Lighting®; Tanza Granite Inc.; Ferguson®. 2. Pendant lighting with burnished brass detail complements the bathroom’s other fixtures. Brizo; Circa Lighting®. 3. Brizo 4. The fan-shaped headboard designed by B&L Furnishings backs sumptuous linens. An all-white fan from Haiku® Home offers a range of settings to keep things cool. Integrity® by Marvin® Windows & Doors; Haiku® Home by Big Ass Solutions. 5. A trio of pendant lighting with a sleek, nickel finish hangs over a custom cabinet with a hand-raked texture in another second-floor bath. Circa Lighting®; J. Tribble Collection; Brizo; Tanza Granite Inc. 6. Throw pillows made of handprinted fabrics by Hable Construction add texture and whimsy to another guest room.
First-Floor Fun and Functionality
Entryway Davies says he intended the spacious entry to be a usable space. With a nook for beach bags and sun hats, the broad hall leads to the elevator, stairwell and rear Sand Room.
Guest Room An airy bedroom in hues of taupe and teal features two queen beds suspended by thick, nautical-like rope from the walls – creating sturdy, yet hammock-like sleeping quarters. Beachy artwork from Carrie’s go-to supplier for the whole house, Oliver Gal, completes the look, along with an accent wall of shiplap painted teal.
Downstairs Den A cozy den, with pieces from area furniture store My Coastal Home, has casual elegance. The mix includes a grey-blue sectional, sleeper sofa decked in beaded, seashell-theme pillows. A jute rug nods to the coastal setting, while a plush, blue rug sits at an angle on top. Sea bird sculptures and framed sand dollars say “beach,” while a streak of chrome in the round, wood coffee table adds a gleam of sophistication. Above it all whirs a sleek, white hybrid fan designed by Haiku® Home by Big Ass Solutions. Its speeds include a Whoosh® mode that simulates natural breezes, but like the technological advances of its outdoor, wet-rated fans, this L Series model’s biggest advantage is the high-tech design that results in wobble-free, long-lasting comfort.
Bunk Room and Bath A beachy, blue-and-white bunk room features built-in beds, along with storage for board games and toys. Swing-arm lamps by Circa Lighting® facilitate late-night reading. In the adjoining bathroom, gauzy window treatments by Brewer Design Solutions back matching sinks that sit atop a surfboard-shaped counter.
Kitchen with Wow Factor
On the second floor, cooks in the family will thrill to a state-of-the-art kitchen. Gather at the spacious, quartzite kitchen island from Tanza Granite Inc., which offers a white-and-greyveined surface. It tops a farmhouse-style island that has hand-turned legs and a glazed, taupeand- white, distressed finish crafted by J. Tribble. This Atlanta, Ga.-based company — known for custom sink bases and cabinetry and artful finishes — also crafted the fresh, navy shelves and cabinets, including a hutch-style piece along one wall.
When it’s time to make dinner, fire up the high-performance, Italian-made Bertazzoni gas range or oven, with its glossy, white finish that works well with the stainless detailing and finish on the Bertazzoni “Master Series” refrigerator. Carrie worked with her wood-working partner to design artfully crafted bar stools for the island and the hand-hewn dining room table chairs.
1. Sea life sculptures and pillows with glimmering, beaded seashell designs accessorize the relaxed downstairs den that mixes natural fibers with touches of elegance. My Coastal Home; Haiku® Home by Big Ass Solutions. 2. Industrial chic, with exposed plumbing and a pair of hooded light fixtures, the bathroom off the bunk room “hangs 10” with a countertop crafted to resemble a surfboard. Brizo; Ferguson. 3. This ship-shape bunk room features builtins and plenty of board game storage, along with swing-arm lighting. Circa Lighting®
Master Bedroom and Bath The second-floor master suite mixes Victorian elements with yacht-like details. Its fan-shaped, custom-designed headboard and side tables from B&L Furnishings signal customized luxury. In the bath, Brizo fixtures with a gilded finish have heft and power, adding glamour to the navy-and-white clawfoot tub and walk-in shower. Gleaming white countertops from Tanza and pendant lighting from Circa complete the luxurious look.
Getaway Suite The third-floor suite, with a walk-in closet framed by sheer drapes, offers a romantic retreat with a four-poster bed and reading nook. “It whispers to nestle and be comforted in a place of softness and beauty,” Carrie says. The suite’s balcony wet bar area overlooks the main living space and opens onto the third-floor deck.
In the Heart of Cinnamon Shore
From top to bottom, this is a Show Home for discriminating Texans — the type who appreciate a place like Cinnamon Shore, where luxury meets beachcasual fun. Unique elements – a rich, brass frame on a powder room sink, sculptures carved by a local artist from driftwood – make this more than a Show Home. Come and see it for yourself. Its prime location by the Dune Pool and Great Lawn at Cinnamon Shore, its proximity to the firm, broad Texas beach, plus the passion of the people who designed and built the home make it a defining beach cottage in the heart of Cinnamon Shore.
1. The third-floor master bedroom becomes an airy getaway suite, with a walk-in closet framed by gauzy drapes. 2. Its all-white bathroom features white countertops and chrome details on fixtures. Ferguson; Tanza Granite Inc. 3. Suspended by sturdy, nautical-looking rope, a sweet swing by B&L Furnishings looks to the Gulf beneath an awardwinning, wet-rated fan designed to withstand harsh, coastal elements. Haiku® Home by Big Ass Solutions.
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR PARTNERS:
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR PRODUCT SPONSORS: